Polystyrene national hives from Poland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are no Nationals on the Lyson site.

They are Polish as you are aware and *thankfully* the national is particular to the UK. They do have Langstroth at a good price and yes I have bought from them, namely a bee suit and some candle moulds all of which I was and am very pleased with.

I am losing track of who sells what in the UK re poly but I think there are now three.

PH

The three suppliers being Modern Beekeeping (sourced in Finland), Bee Hive Supplies and Wynne Jones (Swienty??)?

(no connection to any, btw.)

Highland bee supplies ? and in the near future paynes

The three suppliers being Modern Beekeeping (sourced in Finland), Bee Hive Supplies and Wynne Jones (Swienty??)?

and pa__ynes (swie-nty & home brand BS) and Pa...rk (not sure of origin, poss Italian? that's what someone once suggested -but they didn't have any connection with par...k bee supplies so they may have been wrong).

not forgetting of course the scottish company that this thread started with who sell the poly langstroth and mating nucs (Lyson?) and the national (not Lyson? -maybe it's like the Swienty web page, no obvious mention of the BS range even though we all know that they do make them).

and pa__ynes (swie-nty & home brand BS) and Pa...rk (not sure of origin, poss Italian? that's what someone once suggested -but they didn't have any connection with par...k bee supplies so they may have been wrong).

I understand that the Modern one is top bee space.
Any known quirks of any others?

Pains (due 'early October' ... still) are claimed to be fully interoperable with wooden National components. With thicker walls, does that mean less frames?

Poly 14x12 BB seems a terribly sensible way to go. In principle!

Pains (due 'early October' ... still) are claimed to be fully interoperable with wooden National components. With thicker walls, does that mean less frames?

Poly 14x12 BB seems a terribly sensible way to go. In principle!

spoke to them a couple of weeks ago and they said that it'll be a 11 frame hive.

I understand that the Modern one is top bee space.

What difference does that make? All my kit is top bee space and I like it that way.

Sooo ezeee to add a ramp to the frame runners to change them to bottom bee space, if that floats your boat (provided you are using timber supers?).

I bought just the one super to go with my jumbo set-up, but expect to be using mainly timber supers as the main advantages appear to be over-wintering and an early start to the season. Weight will be assessed later, but I can always remove frames to lighten the load if necessary.

I will reconsider my position after trying the one hive out. See how it goes before changing all around.

Quirks? The 'bee hive supplier' one has a larger than National spec footprint (same internal dimensions as a timber National).

All hives have their little quirks. A lot would say the BS national is a right quirk, c/f Langstroth.

RAB

{Abelo} lists a polystyrene hive by Lysons.

Looking on the English section of Lysons website, I can't see them.

Anyone able to pass comment, other than caveat emptor etc etc?

ISTR someone on here making reference to buying some Lyson products not listed in the English section, but found in the Polish section.
Now I'd be the first to agree that Nationals would sell better if listed in English ... but ... Polish logic? :rolleyes:

Caveat emptor? I'm pleased with the big smoker I bought from that eBay seller - who despite the Aberdeen address has a very Polish name.

Caveat emptor? I'm pleased with the big smoker I bought from that eBay seller - who despite the Aberdeen address has a very Polish name.

That comment was more aimed at avoiding a 'soft' poly composition. I was hoping that somebody would have experience of their poly hives.

Looking at Lysons european agents map was interesting; oh to be fluent in polish and have at least half a business brain.

I believe their poly is up to scratch at 100g/lit.

Top beespace is faster to work. Simple.

PH

"and Pa...rk (not sure of origin, poss Italian?"

unlikely to be italian - apart from dadant swarm boxes/nucs in polistirolo the italians are firmly in the pine camp.

The Lyson site has a version in English, just click the flag at the top.

If that fails use Chrome and Google will translate for you neatly enough.

Their prices are very good the only problem being you have to pay £10 to send the money over but if you are buying a reasonable amount the savings well outweigh that cost.

I found them efficient and good communicators.

PH

Sooo ezeee to add a ramp to the frame runners to change them to bottom bee space, if that floats your boat.

You need to - as the frame runner is good at squashing bees as the frame top bar sits flat on the runner in the MB hives. Because it's flat you can't get your fingers under the top bar to lift it out either and as the end of the top bars is hard up against the runner it's always tight!

Just my view!

Because it's flat you can't get your fingers under the top bar to lift it out either

Never a problem. I use a 'J' hive tool to lever against the adjacent frame. Very simple, and easy, really, as the hive tool is generally needed to release the frames from the runner/next frame anyway - whether a poly or timber hive.

The flat runners may be a down-side - I don't know, yet. I will be finding out.

RAB

On this thread by VEG

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14030

if you follow through to his other items, he lists a polystyrene hive by Lysons.

Looking on the English section of Lysons website, I can't see them.

Anyone able to pass comment, other than caveat emptor etc etc?

i found the website for the poly national hives .... http://beekeeping-equipment.co.uk/

Exact same vendor. eBay or deal direct - your choice!

Umm had a look £25 for an stainless steel uncapping tray+frame holder is that right?

Latest posts

Back