Polynuc eke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
I've inherited an old Stehr polynuc from Thornes that takes national frames. It has an inbuilt floor and inner lip on the top edge of the bb that the lid fits over

Trouble is I'm on 14x12 frames and Thornes don't do an eke (Stehr may never have manufactured one)

It doesnt appear to be compatible with any other current polynucs

Anyone got any usefull ideas or should I stick it on ebay ?

Cut one from Celotex or similar using the outline of the nuc as a guide. Cover the cut edges with aluminium tape.(Wickes/other DIY stores).
A fine saw is ideal for cutting Celotex.

30 minute job..

Thanks both, it had occurred to me to make a ply one, but I hadn't considered celotex - great I've got plenty of that I can butcher into shape not worthy

Make one?

PH

yes, we have lots fo Sterh poly nucs and also have made plenty of wooden ekes that fit over the top and extend above the rapid plastic feeders. Really easy to make. To be honest, if its warm and sunny, you can just use a bit of ply with a hole in the middle, put your feeder on top of that. when its finishes, which usually not long, then just remove. you can put the poly roof above this with a stone on top and that should be plenty until you've finagled feeding.

http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/...loormate-300A-Styrofoam-Insulation-Boards.htm

I have a couple of the 50mm sheets and for ekes I run it through the table saw then screw the ends to make the rectangle for my nucs for candy feeding. Very simple, every effective and I have some that have done a good 10 years service. I stack them up then fill the middle of the stack with more so they don't take up a lot of space when not in use.

Check building skips for off cuts... verrrrra cheap ya ken.......

KISS

PH

Is this an eke simply to convert it to hold National extra- deep frames?

If so, if the floor is removable just make a suitable rectangular eke to extend the nuc body downwards.

Could be poly or timber - if over-winteting, the cluster will tend to move to the warmer part in the depths of winter.

Attachments

• IMG_6494.JPG
    IMG_6494.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6496.JPG
    IMG_6496.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6497.JPG
    IMG_6497.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6498.JPG
    IMG_6498.JPG