Poly roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need around 15+ new national roofs and the cheapest option appears to be Paynes poly.
Any issues with using these on standard 460mm square nationals, a mix of mostly swienty poly and wood?

I need around 15+ new national roofs and the cheapest option appears to be Paynes poly.
Any issues with using these on standard 460mm square nationals, a mix of mostly swienty poly and wood?

That’s all I use now and find them very good.
S

The Paynes and Maisemore are both 500 x 500

Shouldn't be an issue with a 500mm Maisemore or Paynes roof on a standard 460mm brood or super? Of course wouldn't work the other way round.

and they say they're compatible with wooden and poly hives...do people really interchange wooden and poly?

Yes. Why not?
I have wooden supers on poly brood and vice versa. I don't have enough hives to see how they compare to all poly or all wood.

interesting

ive been flirting with idea of getting some poly hives

if interchangeable, more attractive

Abelo/Lyson and swienty nationals both 460mm square, same as standard wooden national. Maisemore and Paynes both have same internal dimensions as wooden nationals but are AFAIK 500mm square externally.

Much prefer wood metal roofs filled with celotex than poly roofs

Why?
Aesthetics or performance? Or cost?
Thorne's budget roof is £17 in their sale but is only 4 inches deep. With any meaningful amount of celotex is that deep enough to be effective as a roof?

Yes, they are far too big and not designed for National sized hives. You will need to strap down in every case as wind will blow them off.
Bite the bullet and get some Abelo roofs.

Yes, they are far too big and not designed for National sized hives. You will need to strap down in every case as wind will blow them off.

Tempting but £10 per roof more.

Yes, but they fit National hives, rather than have a large useless overhang.

Yes, but they fit National hives, rather than have a large useless overhang.

No probs , I like an insulated crown board with a gravel tray + bricks on top, does a good job and cheap as chips.

Never had a problem with strapping roofs down, in fact its a must in the windy SW. I like the overhang as its great for deflecting rain off the sides of wooden hives. I also like their feeders and the larger roofs are required to cover these.
But then, each to their own.
S

Jimmy,
Abelo is the best you can get for a standard National (Swienty is very poor, the rest are oversize) and at the quantity you need you should be able to get the price down. The more you buy the better: sure you only need 15? For starters, Abelo give 10% discount if you collect at Beetradex on 9 March; both you and Beetradex live in Warwickshire. Contact Damien and see if Abelo can offer more.
Eric.

Back