Poly roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ericbeaumont;660163........................ promote efficient strategies to achieve what we want [I said:
in tandem[/I] with what bees want. ..................Manley put it well when he compared unnecessary amateur colony interference to the growing of a plant: would you dig it up every week to check its growth?

That says it all really. I don't think I, as an amateur, have ever done a regular 7 day inspection routine. Typically it would be plus/minus 21 days unless there was a specific reason to look sooner.

I have had a very long break from beekeeping and I am curious about the typical yield of honey from a National hive - years ago, as in more than 40 years ago - we were told 112 lbs per hive per year was good. That seems a small number compared to yields boasted on this forum. Mind you 112 lbs was from what people call 'local mongrels'. Buckfasts and Italians were expected to produce more; and other races were like hens teeth back.

That says it all really. I don't think I, as an amateur, have ever done a regular 7 day inspection routine. Typically it would be plus/minus 21 days unless there was a specific reason to look sooner.

I have had a very long break from beekeeping and I am curious about the typical yield of honey from a National hive - years ago, as in more than 40 years ago - we were told 112 lbs per hive per year was good. That seems a small number compared to yields boasted on this forum. Mind you 112 lbs was from what people call 'local mongrels'. Buckfasts and Italians were expected to produce more; and other races were like hens teeth back.

Do you believe them all? ;)

Latest posts

Back