Poly Hive + Wood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish mine had maximum heat loss last winter, I had to remove at least two frames of stores from my wooden hives

Yes....what's going on?
Masses of bees and brood, needed a super, but still lots of winter stores not all removable. It's got b****y cold so that empty space above them should sort it!

Yes....what's going on?
Masses of bees and brood, needed a super, but still lots of winter stores not all removable. It's got b****y cold so that empty space above them should sort it!

A few frames of foundation will get them to use it up.....hopefully

You have it the wrong way round hotter air has the greater water carrying capacity. That's why you get condensation on cold surfaces

Y

Yes you're right I have got it the wrong way round.
The point I'm trying make albeit long windedly is that the relative humidity inside a hive is quite high some laboratory studies put it at around 87%, some put it even higher at 97% in a closed system, presumably without an open mesh floor. The temperature inside a poly hive super is presumably higher than that of wood.
Is it easier to "add" water from honey into air if the RH of the air is lower and presumably at the same hive temperature?
True or false?
An interesting question but of little practical value as most bees (except yours :) ) seem to cap it regardless of whether it's wood or poly they are in.

Simple put, i mix poly and wood. :D

Latest posts

Back