Types of wood filler

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Roberts

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, does anyone know if there is any issue using two part wood filler on my hives? What would people recommend to mend second quality equipment?
Thanks

Hi, does anyone know if there is any issue using two part wood filler on my hives? What would people recommend to mend second quality equipment?
Thanks
I use a two part acrylic wood filler which works well and I’ve never had a complaint yet!

I use the cheapest I can find.
Not that I've ever seen the need to use any on 'second quality' kit, just came in handy when I acquired a load of old flat pack stuff that had sat in someone's shed for a decade at an auction once.

I use the cheapest car body filler I can buy when I convert my Paynes poly nucs into 8 frames removing the feeder .... works for me. The bees have never complained. I've used decorators caulk as well to fill waxmoth damage in poly hives.

I've drilled out loose knots, plugged with dowel, then mixed sawdust with wood glue to fill any gaps.

Thanks
A friend of mine had a car which had an exhaust repair using concrete and wire netting. Maybe some 3 parts sand and 1 of cement after priming the hole with PVA would work? 🤔

Back