Pollination contracts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will only sell nucs that I have overwintered, that way I can be sure that the colony is healthy with a good queen. I don't go out of my way to catch swarms (other than my own) because I don't want to bring in any problems.

When I first started keeping bees I had been given a swarm by the examiner of my Basic exam, and surely this kindness and generosity is something to be encouraged? It costs hardly anything to catch a swarm to give to a beginner with the advice to check the health of the bees, or even for a mentor to check them a few weeks after hiving.
Same here with the selling but I also sell colonys with the current years new queens but the new queens have to go through at least three brood cycles and if the colonys aren't what I would keep my self why sell them, your asking for trouble and a bad name.. It doesn't seem good business sence to me.

Edit : I wasn't talking about swarms either

Last edited:
The local BKA made £1250 through selling swarms. So it's a very lucrative sideline. The alternative is some members will sell established swarms as nucs for £120+. Either that or the Internet. You pays the money and makes your choice
Hoping to become a bit more self sufficient next year.
An established swarm is a colony so nothing wrong with that

Any swarms, not from my own bees are given away, having been " grown on" for a month or so. Even do it with my own bees if I do not want increase.

Many of the swarms I've passed on over the years, I'm certain they were destined for a certain death.

• Haha
Reactions: mbc
:iagree: one of the reasons of my falling out with the chairman of my last BKA

I can not, and will not, set new beekeepers on an uncertain path that could lead to them giving up... due to having to have a colony destroyed due to disease... the bees being unmanageable due to a bad genetic mix or swarming off again!
Nadelik Lowen

Im trying to understand the stress issues with moving bees to different forage.
Im told that moving from certain types of forage one after another isn't good.
All depending what they are.
Is there a relative difference?

Eg osr to clover
Or clover to borage
Borage to Heather
Well, there is stress on the beekeeper...as I found out moving a hive in the dark the yesterday...when the entrance closing mesh gets ripped off a bit in the move 😨
This video is after moving and after the entrance is opened. They are not happy...they are big colonies and a big effort to move, but I'd be disappointed after all the work to get them to this stage if I didn't get 100kg each in the next two months. I know it is a genuine world class product. It's good for the bees to some extent because they get to keep enough of the honey to get them through winter and early spring. They say Aus is one of the hardest places in the world to keep bees with the dry and the wet, the fires, the heat and the sporadic forage, but it is recommended to move the bees to places of good/better pollen and nectar from time to time, as required.
View attachment VID_20201218_155339275.mp4
You generally can't just leave them in the one spot unless in suburbia.

Last edited:
As long as people are aware what there buying and it’s reflected in the price there’s really shouldn’t be an issue. It may even be an affordable way for people to start. Pays your money take your choice!
While I don't personally sell swarms (if they're any good they're too useful for a quick turnaround -one way or another....) I tend to agree with Ian. I have no problem with people paying for a start -it may help to concentrate the mind. Equally, before I get jumped on, I have no issue giving a good sound nuc to someone who's previously impressed me enough that I feel they're worth the help.

No rules, every situation on its own merits.

I agree ..

I've given bees away - whether from swarms collected or splits from my own bees... the 'going rate' in this area is that the cost of kit that goes with them (frames. foundation, boxes) or full replacement is reasonable., the bees are free. I've been fortunate over the years to have been given bees and queens when fellow beekeepers have had a need to reduce their numbers and I've always tried to reciprocate by being equally generous.

However, there is always a fear that giving things away does not generate a value in the person receiving and there is always the worry of 'easy come/easy go'. Talking specifically about new beekeepers, I would always want to know that there was some ability and commitment in the person to whom the bees were being donated - I've seen a number of new beekeepers, having been given given swarms, that fail to meet the necessary requirements and responsibilites in keeping bees and fail to continue in the craft - often lacking the necesssary commitment.

Equally, I've had to try and sort out problems where new beekeepers have either been sold or given bees that were not suitable for a new beekeeper - viscious colonies sold to them for several hundred pounds and colonies with failing queens or in one case no queen ! In some cases the experience of starting out with a colony that was problematical has resulted in the loss of a beekeeper to a craft that really needs a continuing influx of new beekeepers as the old ones cease for whatever reason. We lose enough new beekeepers without either making life difficult for them or taking financial advantage of their ignorance.

I think there should be an unwritten code (there will never be a written one) associated with the transfer of bees to new beekeepers (established beekeepers should be able to fend for themselves !) that says swarms or nucs should be of decent temperament, proven queenright and healthy. There is a cost to this pre-qualification of the colony and I have no issue with there being a fair cost for this - bees are valuable livestock and anyone should be prepared to accept that there is a value to the transfer.

Plus, I think transferring bees to a new beekeepers comes with a responsibily - there should be a package of ongoing assistance provided, along with the bees, so that the new beekeeper can have confidence that the bees they now have are of a merchantable quality and assistance in dealing with any problems (real or perceived) is on hand. I'm not saying that this should be at the level of mentoring or unreasonable expectations imposed by the new beekeeper - it has to be a mutually accepted arrangement.

In these circumstances there is obviously a cost attributed to this put on the donor or seller .. it is irresponsible to give or sell bees to a new beekeeper without either a guarantee and/or a pacckage of support. If the donor chooses to absorb the cost of the warranty then that is a charitable position to take but it does not abdicate them from the responsibility. If they choose to pass on some or all of the cost of the warranty then I have no problem with a charge being made and some understanding of what is being provided on both sides of the transaction.

I am sure there are some very responible donors and sellers of bees out there - but, like all walks of life, there are going to be rogues prepared to take advantage either financially or for the kudos of 'giving' swarms away. We should all look closely (even as hobbyist beekeepers) at how we transfer bees to new entrants to the craft and take some responsibility.

While I don't personally sell swarms (if they're any good they're too useful for a quick turnaround -one way or another....) I tend to agree with Ian. I have no problem with people paying for a start -it may help to concentrate the mind. Equally, before I get jumped on, I have no issue giving a good sound nuc to someone who's previously impressed me enough that I feel they're worth the help.

Agree, no issue with getting reimbursed for frames when handing over a fresh swarm, but I still stand on not charging any more, unless it's been built up and 'proven' before passing it on.
We used to make up nucs at our association and someone did suggest they should be given free, but, as you say, would that just start an attitude of 'easy come easy go' so we levied a charge. I then also sold my nucs to beginners at the same rate if the association didn't have enough to meet demand

I used to give away swarms in the month I caught them, but now I prefer to keep them all, see if they overwinter well, and if so I will sell (or sometimes donate) them as a nuc the next spring. That way the weaker ones have been winnowed out before I pass them to anyone else. New swarms are such an unknown quantity that I prefer to make them pass the "winter test" before even giving them away. I never requeen them though.

I’ll set the cat amongst the pigeons

for as far back as I can remember having started keeping bees as a youngster, BV, I recall the fervour at the local meeting in Stroud at the time about how swarms were free and nucs should be charged for.
Fast forward and two associations I know of now charge the collector of the swarm £20/£40 to be given the details and the funds ‘donated’ to the branch for ‘coordinating’ or some such *ull*hit.
And then a demand that beekeepers shouldn’t ‘profit’ from selling Nucs/bees to others and fixed price .... which in itself by virtue of the collusion is completely illegal and price fixing, I really struggle to understand the mentality of some beekeepers who think the world owes them a living and they should be given bees for tuppence’ha’penny - to replenish their one or two hives that have died out ‘in mysterious circumstances yet again’ or swarmed or absconded (delete as appropriate)

to which I am happy to justify £200+ for a nuc.
frames, foundation, feed, time, and then the queen which has probably been hand reared and possibly a daughter from an AI proven breeder at some cost - why on earth shouldn’t a decent nuc be chargeable ?
To the claim of ‘ongoing’ support ?? Are people in the real world ? The big bee suppliers don’t give ‘ongoing support’ indeed one quoted to me half the bees they supply to beginners die every year because of poor management or training.

It is training that is at fault here - or rather lack of - and people’s desire to circumvent the training available in branches - and let’s face it - too many new beekeepers for the available mentors to cope with.

Mentorship should be a chargeable service - discuss

why shouldn’t someone make a living out of a mentorship service ? Supply and demand would suggest it would probably be very popular

Especially with the rise of zoom

I might have strayed a little off topic here - give away surplus swarms by all means but then again don’t be surprised if they too struggle in the wrong hands !
KR

S

To the claim of ‘ongoing’ support ?? Are people in the real world ? The big bee suppliers don’t give ‘ongoing support’ indeed one quoted to me half the bees they supply to beginners die every year because of poor management or training.

It is training that is at fault here - or rather lack of - and people’s desire to circumvent the training available in branches - and let’s face it - too many new beekeepers for the available mentors to cope with.

Valid points.

Time and experience has a value and too many beekeepers and beginners seem to be oblivious to it. I'll always chat to mull over an issue, taught beginners for ten years, never believed in mentoring, but as for free bees: are people in the real world?

Somerford is right: beekeeping isn't taken up that deeply by many beginners (despite the start-up cost) but more as an add-on to connect with nature, which to be fair, should be applauded. However, too often down the road an unwillingness to learn beyond the minimum morphs into I let my bees do their own thing (including dying).

Occasionally a customer arrives to collect a nuc without prior beekeeping knowledge of any sort. What to do? I WhatsApp for quite some time, giving gentle but robust advice and pointing to a Haynes and the local BKA. Bless them, they're naive lovelies used to straight cucumbers in plastic and anxious to keep their trainers clean as clean can be. One or two may even, in the end, be very capable and I give freely with that idea in mind.

Fact is that the standard of UK hobby beekeeping is pretty low and instead of giving yet more beginners an easy intro., we could instead work to improve the beekeepers we have.

Latest posts

Back