Pollination Contracts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I would like some information on how long one is expected to leave hives on various crops. I read 4 weeks from flowering having started for OSR? Also, interested in finding this information for Field Beans, Borage, Top Fruits and Soft fruits and seeds. I realise it is weather dependent. My request is for study purposes only.
Many thanks.

Hi all,
I would like some information on how long one is expected to leave hives on various crops. I read 4 weeks from flowering having started for OSR? Also, interested in finding this information for Field Beans, Borage, Top Fruits and Soft fruits and seeds. I realise it is weather dependent. My request is for study purposes only.
Many thanks.

Contact the BFA pollination officer

I pollinated apples for 20 years. The bloom dates and the length of time in the apiary varied do widely that it would be difficult to come up with a rule of thumb. In a “normal” year we move in about May 12, and out just before the Memorial Day weekend...last weekend of May. Then there was the year where we moved in a week earlier, the temps went down, and we never moved out until June. Or the year when we moved at the usual time. Took us 3 nights to move the 600 colonies, temps were unusually high, and we began moving out the two nights after we moved the first bunch in.

I doubt you will find contracts for osr and beans, with osr you get a faster more even set on the seeds but it’s not crucial to have bees present. Beans also are not dependant on honey bees. It does however work both for farmer and beekeepers if they are there.

In poor weather conditions, beans and OSR can still benefit from pollination. It is legitimate to sell pollination as "insurance" for that occasional year where the weather is uncooperative.

MP's post above highlights an issue that might not be apparent. It is possible to get too much pollination, especially on fruit trees. With too much fruit set, size is reduced and tree damage can occur. You have to know the crop and know the pollination requirements.

I don't remember ever hearing that anyone got paid for having bees on OSR or field Beans.

PH

Used to get paid for field beans back in the 1980's

I’ve heard of them for osr but not for many years and think it was £10-15 per hive probably enough to cover the move/diesel but as I said think you will struggle to find them now!!

I pollinated apples for 20 years. The bloom dates and the length of time in the apiary varied do widely that it would be difficult to come up with a rule of thumb. In a “normal” year we move in about May 12, and out just before the Memorial Day weekend...last weekend of May. Then there was the year where we moved in a week earlier, the temps went down, and we never moved out until June. Or the year when we moved at the usual time. Took us 3 nights to move the 600 colonies, temps were unusually high, and we began moving out the two nights after we moved the first bunch in.

Thanks Michael, I am glad that I only have to consider pollination in theory! Apple theory goes as follows; Move bees onto crop when 5% of flowers are out, so that they will go on that crop and not start to look around for other forage. You are not seeking to pollinate 100% of the bloom as you will get natural drop anyhow. Apple blossom need to be pollinated by day three as it takes 5 days for the pollen tube to grow into the ovule and after 8 days it is too late. Also, apples have five pistils to be fertilised if not you end up with "ugly fruit". I think my bees were on my apple tree for about 14 days.

I doubt you will find contracts for osr and beans, with osr you get a faster more even set on the seeds but it’s not crucial to have bees present. Beans also are not dependant on honey bees. It does however work both for farmer and beekeepers if they are there.

Hi Ian, Apparently, studies have found an increase in quantity of 14% if honey bees are present on OSR and that they improve the setting quality as well. Have difficulties with bees on field beans as I thought the bumble bees had to make a hole for them to get to the nectar and they are therefore not near to any pollen? Must pay more attention in the vegetable plot.

Thanks all, I guess not many of us on the forum have enough hives to provide the service!

Back