Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's a shock ... down here has been incredibly mild and there is still a lot of stuff in blossom so, if the weather is clement, they will fly and forage. Not sure there's a shock there ... if the weather stays like this till February.... that might be a shock - but I think it's unlikely to happen.

Agree it's not a shock that pollen is still coming in given how crazy warm its been. The original question was are we in for a shock....
I think some will be caught out by the larger than usual colony size going through the winter. If it turns cold isolation starvation risk increases. That's where the shock will be..

the larger than usual colony size going through the winter. If it turns cold isolation starvation risk increases
Reckon the opposite is true: a large colony with a greater surface area is more likely to be in contact with stores than a small nest, and will pass stores down the line.

Best way to avoid isolation starvation is to make sure the colony fills the box(es) and have it strong going into winter.

Our bees are still taking pollen in, various plants are budding. Are we in for a big shock ?
I keep a diary of what the bees are doing (not as regularly as I used to but when I remember I add to it). Here in Scotland, I have plenty of entries with bees bringing in pollen this time of year, doesn’t slow down till about December from my records. (only couple of years worth just now).

In my area I’ve pretty much seen bees carrying pollen into a hive every week of the year. Whilst not is exactly suburbia and lots of open space there’s normally plenty of gardens within distance of bees and even a bloody great garden centre for some. The best of the ivy is certainly over but there’s plenty still about, I’ve often seen odd bits still flowering and worked by bees into December. I welcome it and the bees benefit from it and late brood rearing. Rather than a cause for concern I welcome it! It’s certainly been mild but we’ve had similar in the past so nothing outrageously abnormal as far as I can see.

Latest posts

Back