Pollen Super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycadman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just taken off some supers for extraction. In one of the supers the central frames are full of pollen in the central areas with just a little sealed honey around the edges.
1. Is it OK to extract the little honey in these frames around the edges using the extractor.
2. Will the frames with the surplus pollen be of any use in the future? Is there any way that I can get the bees to clean out the pollen for future storage of honey?

Some people like pollen in their honey, but I doubt that much of it will spin out. You will also find that because that frame is so light it will likely unbalance the extractor and be a pain to extract. I would leave it in and over time the pollen should go and they will fill it with honey.

Many thanks for the advice - much appreciated. This quantity of pollen in the supers is new to me.

Just out of interest how long can frames like this be kept outside the hive before they have to be returned?

Months. But I would be inclined to bung it back on now and let them carry on working it.

I just took off a super with 2 frames in identical to yours, I extracted it as none of mine are short of stores and honey was all capped. No problems with unbalancing as I put the frames opposite each other. This will now go back on next to brood box and they can clean up and use as they see fit, hopefully with another box to take off.

Many thanks for that.

It's good to learn from the experience of others.

Pollen in supers = too small a brood area. Supers are for honey. Simple rule of beekeeping.

PS Have a feel how light your hives are after removing not only the honey, but the pollen as well. That is how bee colonies starve and die.

The single National is no longer fit for purpose as a beehive ... about 100yrs out of date.

Last edited:
:iagree:

the bees are trying to tell you something.

they've done a loft conversion without getting planning permission (but for obvious reasons mum can't get up the stairs).

their home obviously isn't big enough for their plans.

seriously - how is the brood box looking? wall to wall brood?

Brood chamber is fine - not to full - no signs of swaming in last weeks check.

Bees storing honey in other super as per normal.

Placing a square of plastic, about 1" smaller all round than your queen excluder (so they can still get around the sides) will stop a pollen arch. As others have said, it's indicative of a hive that is essentially too small e.g. the British National <cough> at least, in terms of the pollen arch being integral to the colony after you nick all the supers mid-summer.

Adam

Just to "Square circle" affected frames extracted fine as itchyhives above suggested. Honey absolutely delicious. Never experienced that volume of pollen in the supers before.
No sign of queen cells/cups on inspection of hive from which frames came. All going well.
It might also be interesting to have a debate on:
"The single National is no longer fit for purpose as a beehive ... about 100yrs out of date." (Quote from above).
I choose the National hive because supers are not too heavy and all round hives are easy to manoeuvre and handle. I am not getting any younger.
I also kept National hives in school for seventeen years in the past, because they were ideal for use with the students.
On a cursory glance most of the members of this forum seem to have National hives, (could be wrong).

I know 6 people who keep bees and they all keep them in nationals. Ones been keeping bees for 30 years.. Could he be wrong?????

End of the season update

To square the circle. This particulrar hive has come throught the season really well pruducing five supers of honey, one nucleus and no swarms.

However, to go back to the first photograph. After extraction I place the supers back on the hive. They refilled them with honey but refused to take the all the pollen down. Extracted the second batch, put the supers back on for cleaning and still ended up with two or three fames like the one below. All other fames cleaned up nicely and in winter store.Taking into consideration I do not have freezer space is, it worth keeping the fames like the one below through the winter?

Yes,and use in your first supers on in early spring, when pollen is most needed.

Many thanks for that, very sensible. Just wanted to make sure that it would keep OK.

Andy

Andycadman,
I use single Nat BB's like you and the first supers are similar, more or less. Sometimes the arc is small and other times may include four central frames.
These first supers remain with the bees, I don't go thieving them. I get my honey from any additional supers but the first is their surplus.

That is not much pollen. Reason is that bees are not willing to store it in new white combs.

But in spring give the pollen frames to bees. Use the combs as brood frames. Bees eate pollen off, they fill combbs with larvae and then lift the frames over the excluder.

Pollen is valuable stuff to bees in early spring. Forget the honey which have impurities like pollen.
It must be special product if you sell so.

That is normal that supers have pollen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back