Pollen Patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can anyone provide a recipe for pollen patties, including suitable sources to purchase the items? I'd like to have a go before the spring.

Thanks,

Adam

http://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthr...patties&page=4

awful to read that above

I have tried many recipes. To some "simple is best" but to me that is best what bees consume a lot. It must be tasty to get much new bees.

A hive consumes 0,5 kg a week on average. I put patty once a week.
If the hive has bad nosema, it cannot consume it practically. When you give emerging bees from big healthy hives, it starts normal brooding.

5 frame nucs of less become often sick. Perhaps they do not stand turbo handling. Chalk brood hits often back in small hives. Best results come in biggest hives.

Recipe is from Australian and USA documents.

- 2 parts dry yeast or much more fresh yeast.
- one part soya flour which has 20% fat (normal)
- one part irradiated pollen
- 60% sugar syrup

- 1/3 of sugar is fructose. It takes moisture from air and keeps the patty soft

- 50 mg ascorbic acid
- one multivitamin tab or multivitamin syrup
- one magnesium pill

Roll the stuff between baking papers. Make it so soft that it stays inside the papers. Handle the stuff as warm. Show to it microwave oven it is cold.

Don’t store it in cattle because it will be jammed there. Keep it for example in 3 litter plastic candy box. You may warm it up in microwave oven and then you may handle it.

If you save some of these stuff, you will regret it.

The total sugar must be 50% in the patty that it does not take mold or start to ferment.

If the patty stuff makes bubbles, add sugar to stop fermenting.

Last edited:
hiiva1.jpg

Patty is consumed

Patty must be sraight over the brood area. As you see, they eate edges last.

The upper part has been full of patty a week ago. Snow in ground.

pollenfree.jpg

add more
pollenfree2.jpg

Last edited:
Bees start to eate at once the new patty. It means that patty is good and bees are protein hungry

pollenfr3.jpg

They lick the sugar and they bite flour with jaws.

hiiva2.jpg

valkuaisruoka1.jpg

valkuaisruoka3.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
quantities

thanks for the recipe finman BUT it is not clear exactly how to make the patties ie actual amounts (since parts and % have been mixed)

should the sugar FINAL % be 50%, 60% or is the recipe calling for 60% of volume amde up of syrup (2:1, 1:1, what?).

if it is 20% yeast, 10% soya, 10% pollen, 60% sugar what volume water must be added?

Here is a little bit older recipe, what I have used.

Sorry I think it as protein part and sugar part.

Protein depends what you have easy to get and what is the price.
Nowadays I use more yeast because I got it cheaply.

3 kg dry irradiated pollen
0,7 litre water to soften pollen over night
3 kg dry baker yeast
2 kg soya flour with fat or without
1 kg fructose ( or honey if you do not have AFB)
1 kg flour sugar
3 multivitamin pill crushed and diluted into water.
150 mg C- vitamin = Ascorbic acid powder
magnesium 2 pills

Add 200 g food oil if soya is fatfree.

28% pollen

This is for 20 hives for one week

Last edited:
whilst i commend your hard work and effort , can i just point out that the idea of being able to buy dries yeast i sensible quanities in the uk is almost impossible as i found out to my costs pollen patties and protin patties in the uk are very rarely made due to ingrediants.

whilst there are millions of recipes out there and i am sure hundreds more will arrive today the chances of being able to buy the ingrediants is a load of tosh

to prove my point please try to find a supplier of a 5 kilo bag of defatted soya flour in the UK NOT THE STATES and the holy grail is dried brewers yeast, not bread yeast and not live yeast but dead brewers yeast

but apart from that its easy to knock up

whilst i commend your hard work and effort , can i just point out that the idea of being able to buy dries yeast i sensible quanities in the uk is almost impossible

I got from yeast company.

We may bye to horses dry yeast and surely it is in UK too.

to prove my point please try to find a supplier of a 5 kilo bag of defatted soya flour

Why you want defatted soya? Normal soya with 20% fat is better.
Yes, I know that some of your stars say that it must be defatted, but it is not true

in the UK is dried brewers yeast, not bread yeast and not live yeast but dead brewers yeast

It is good. Soya flour has been cooked 3 hours to make it food. It is more dead than hot dryed yeast.

As fas as I have understood, it is difficult to get irradiated pollen in UK.

In recipes it is often said "torula yeast". It comes from pulp industry and it is not sold in Finland.

whilst i commend your hard work and effort , can i just point out that the idea of being able to buy dried yeast in sensible quanities in the uk is almost impossible, as i found out to my costs pollen patties and protin patties in the uk are very rarely made due to ingrediants.

whilst there are millions of recipes out there and i am sure hundreds more will arrive today the chances of being able to buy the ingrediants is a load of tosh

to prove my point please try to find a supplier of a 5 kilo bag of defatted soya flour in the UK NOT THE STATES and the holy grail is dried brewers yeast, not bread yeast and not live yeast but dead brewers yeast

but apart from that its easy to knock up
pete

Pete - various quantities of correct yeast available on fleabay (equine suppliers). Our local pet food/animal feed/garden supplies store sells 25kg sacks of fat free toasted soya meal (from extraction). Key is to look at the protein % if fat % not quoted - around 50% in this meal.

Last edited:
Pete - various quantities of correct yeast available on fleabay (equine suppliers). Our local pet food/animal feed/garden supplies store sells 25kg sacks of fat free toasted soya meal (from extraction). Key is to look at the protein % if fat % not quoted - around 50% in this meal.

See this may be wher I am going wrong. I've now tracked down equine suppliers of brewers yeast - but Soya - is it Soya Flour I need, or should I also be looking for Soya meal? What is the correct term?

Thanks,
Adam

When you bye soya flour, it must be "substitute of animal mother milk". Normal soya forace is so gride that bees cannot eate it.

I use Hamlet HP 100 . I tryed HP 200 but it is too coarse.

Park Tonks Ltd, Abington House, 48 North Road, Great Abington, Cambridge, CB21 6AS, England.

Protein Level
Hamlet Protein 56%
Serolat P25 25%

Park Protein
Egg Powder 44%
2a Skim 36.9%
Rice 57%
Bakers Yeast 45%
Brewers Yeast 58%
Progress (Pea) 60%
Potato 78%

http://www.parktonks.co.uk/?/animal/nutritional/proteins/index.htm