Pollen in super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perrybee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a colony that is doing well and has 4 supers on. The first supper above the brood box is half full wiith honey and the other half is pollen. Is this normal? If still of pollen at end of season would you leave the super on over winter ?

Thanks.

most of the first supers on mine have various amounts of pollen in I leave that super above the QX then add on top of that super so the others dont get pollen in them. I dont leave a super on mine over winter as mine fill the brood with honey from the last of the balsom, but your local conditions may be a lot different.

I read somewhere that you should just keep the super with pollen in as your first super onto the brood box ie accept that they do this but don't fill all your frames with pollen. I would be interested to know if they ever get round to using this pollen or if once it has been overwintered off the hive it is no longer of any use to them.

most of the first supers on mine have various amounts of pollen in I leave that super above the QX then add on top of that super so the others dont get pollen in them. I dont leave a super on mine over winter as mine fill the brood with honey from the last of the balsom, but your local conditions may be a lot different.

I do the same and have often found most of the pollen has gone by extraction time. But perhaps not this year as my hives are full of pollen.
This would be a good year to collect pollen.

I'm on single National BBs and accept that they always leave the first super above the QX ready to be part of the brood nest with empty cells in the centre surrounded by arcs of pollen. As the season progresses they give up hope and start filling the empty cells with honey....I remove and scrape all the comb from this super into a strainer bucket at the end of the season and only over-winter the BB.

As the mantra goes "it works for me" !

Richard

Back