Pollen in rabbit hutch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Switcher

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, I know nothing about bee-keeping which is why I am posting my enquiry on your forum. I found a quantity of pollen (clumps) in hexagons behind a panel in my rabbit hutch today. It seems that a honeycomb might be taking shape. I have had to remove the pollen, etc. as I don't want this in the hutch. However, I have not disposed of it as it seems to represent many hours of bee activity. Can I leave it someplace so that they can re-use it, or what? There are about 20 clumps, each about the size of a small pea.

Thanks for your help with this.

Liz

i think you may have wasp nests eg those of paper wasps.

are they a collection of filled hexagonal cells attached by a stalk to a surface?

The cells were in 2-3 rows on a flat surface. The space in which I found them is about 5mm wide. In fact it was behind a sliding panel which is seldom used. I have seen bees going in and out.

The cells were in 2-3 rows on a flat surface. The space in which I found them is about 5mm wide. In fact it was behind a sliding panel which is seldom used. I have seen bees going in and out.

Could be Bumble bees,
any chance of a pic to show what you found.

It's mostly likely to be Osmia Rufus (Red Mason Bees). They build small packets of pollen, (which is the protein provisions) and then an egg on it. The gaps between each packet are sealed by mud.

I get similar things between the hive bodies and the roof sometime.

This is the best picture I could find - which describes the "pea" shaped packet of pollen.

Osmia_rufa_Ei.jpg

Regards,

Adam

Got those in one of my home built mini nucs.. most annoying as I cannot use it!

Sorry, the image is off wikipedia and I don't know how to re-size images on here.

This link shows it better:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Osmia_rufa_Ei.jpg

Adam
I have posted a picture in reply to another post and think my peas seems very similar to what you described. I see what appear to be eggs in this one. The peas are on top of my piano, intact as far as I can judge.

Back