Queen outside

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullerBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So as seems about normal around 2pm today my bees were getting very busy at the hive. There was a fair number around the entrance and quite a ‘cloud’ of bees up to about 2 feet away in front of the entrance.

Looked like new brood having orientation, plenty foragers coming and going and then to my surprise, my Queen!! Now she isn’t marked but there’s no mistaking the size and shape, she was also a bit clumsy at flying (another Queen thing I believe). Now as far as I can tell, she made it back in (I didn’t manage to track her through the fuss at the entrance) and the ‘cloud’ of bees slowly diminished as they went back into hive.

I was quite surprised to see the Queen out! I moved them from nuc to hive last week and everything looked good - a couple of frames with brood, honey, pollen etc, and some new foundation. I’m doing a full inspection this coming week (and to mark/clip the Queen) and plenty normal activity today with pollen collection etc but still surprised that the Queen ventured out. I thought her attendant bees would remove waste etc for her so she always stayed in the hive? (Except mating flight) ?

Might be that you witnessed VQ orientation flight or a mating flight/returm ?
A mated queen venturing out will be swarming.
Yes that could be it. I hadn’t seen any QC when I moved from the nuc to hive but that’s not to say there wasn’t. Next inspection mid-week so I’ll have a good look at what’s going on! Thanks

Not all QC are evident and one is easy to miss, more so if they part hide one or is very well disguised at the edge of the frame.

How long since nuc transferred and last looked in on them ?

Not all QC are evident and one is easy to miss, more so if they part hide one or is very well disguised at the edge of the frame.

How long since nuc transferred and last looked in on them ?
Hmm yes agree, there’s every chance I missed them. They moved on Wednesday which is when I checked them. There was a bit of burr on some frames but nothing that looked like QC but I absolutely accept I could miss them.
Inspection again this Wednesday so will take a good close look at what’s going on 👍🏻

Hmm yes agree, there’s every chance I missed them. They moved on Wednesday which is when I checked them. There was a bit of burr on some frames but nothing that looked like QC but I absolutely accept I could miss them.
Inspection again this Wednesday so will take a good close look at what’s going on 👍🏻
In my experience I will often find queen cells amongst what, at first look, appears to be burr comb, especially down the side of frames

Latest posts

Back