Pollen in my honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grahambee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
took my first ever frame of honey which was for cut comb as this is my first year and i did not want to bother with extracting the problem i have got is that i have a fair bit of pollen in the honey comb
Is it allright to eat the cut comb with the pollen in and has this accured due to the super being immediately above the brood box
I would like to say that i do not intend to sell this to the public as i have a big list from my family and friends

took my first ever frame of honey which was for cut comb as this is my first year and i did not want to bother with extracting the problem i have got is that i have a fair bit of pollen in the honey comb
Is it allright to eat the cut comb with the pollen in and has this accured due to the super being immediately above the brood box
I would like to say that i do not intend to sell this to the public as i have a big list from my family and friends

Hi, perfectly ok the eat the comb pollen and all !:)
And yes! ,you often find an arch of pollen in the first super. This is the bees following their inclination to maintaining an arch of pollen over the brood !
The continentals use pollen as a source of income as it's so full of protein and vitamins, trace elements etc.

John Wilkinson

Thanks for your reply i thought it was ok to eat just thought it would be best to double check it is my first lot of honey
as said before i dont intend selling this honey however is there any issues selling comb honey to the public with the odd bit of pollen in it

Not that I'm aware of.
The British public being what it is ,tends to view quality by looks ,therefore ,as you don't sell a complete comb , I think it wise to sell 1/2lb squares and eat the pollen bits yourself ;) Win Win.

John Wilkinson

If you take the honey from your bees, and if you take the pollen from your bees as well, what have they got left?

Pollen in supers = too small a brood area.

You hit the nail on the head, the super was originally on the top of the brood box. When I added another super to put the bees on a brood and a half, this went on top only half filled. This is why there was a fair bit of pollen in the honey.

There's many that operate brood and a half or double brood. I run MD and never seen pollen in the supers.

There's many that operate brood and a half or double brood. I run MD and never seen pollen in the supers.

I think you know there will always be a certain amount of pollen grains in the liquid honey its something that happens. I think its impossible for honey not to have a degree of pollen in it.

Mo

Latest posts

Back