pollen coming in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rje66

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
At the moment the bees are bringing in pollen , so is it a simple assumption that Q is happily laying away???
So pollen coming in =Q laying???

Not a certain sign of queen laying but it is normally a good indication that all is well and queen right. Snowdrops and crocus out here but far to windy for bee flight.

My hives are bringing a little ivy pollen (from the grey colour), but the crownboard temps are too low for any brood raising (unless a very small patch) - 11C..

We had frost last week and snow the week before and no doubt will have some more before Spring - or in Spring...

Not a certain sign of queen laying but it is normally a good indication that all is well and queen right. Snowdrops and crocus out here but far to windy for bee flight.
No crocus here just Snow drops and its that cold and windy outside even i will not go outside, :spy:

I'm about 10 mile away from you at the moment the Daffs and Hyacinth are popping up on a east facing wall, but 1hr30mins away further north only snow drops, both locations are not far from the coast but the one further north has more sun as its in the open, weird.

No - pollen coming in = pollen available and either bees are storing it for later or Q is laying :)

Ok, tha ks for replies ,was just curious

Everydays a school day on herebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Ok, tha ks for replies ,was just curious

Everydays a school day on herebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Without opening up , which is a Big No No at this very early stage you cannot know definitively... BUT

Observing and taking into account

• The weather
  • The lack of an extended cold snap,
  • The extra daylight, thefact that we now as of yesterday have 61 minutes extra evening light and approx half that in AM ,
  • The fact that in Dublin suburban settings there is forage there in the form of Gorse, Viburnun, Mahonia, Snowdrops, cornilla, Hellebores and more

There is a fair chance that laying has commenced.

Now is the time to closely monitor stores as Brood rearing will deplete a lightly stocked colony and result in starvation.

I just read a rather interesting article about some research done up there in Scotland. I think it was done a few years ago. Part of the research showed that there was a lot more brood in the hives than expected! Small patches and larger patches of brood often on facing sides of the comb. It showed that hive temperatures were not necessarily indicative of when brooding started and stopped. There was quite a bit about ventilation, dampness and air circulation. I am sure that there are researches more recent than this but it made for interesting reading.
Just checked who wrote the article....Bernard Mobus...I think I remember that he passed away...but might be wrong about that. It was on Poly Hive Pete's page.
Also an article by Derek Mitchell.....about bees in tree hollows versus wooden hives...I read this a while ago now but recently came across it again.

Last edited:
Without opening up , which is a Big No No at this very early stage you cannot know definitively.[/LIST]

There is a fair chance that laying has commenced. Now is the time to closely monitor stores as Brood rearing will deplete a lightly stocked colony and result in starvation.

Some of mine never stopped!!! I know this because I had a look on a relatively warm day in late December.

Hazel catkins are in abundance right beside some of my apiaries and the Laurel isn't far off being ready to flower. The bees haven't started pollen foraging with any determination yet....

Latest posts

Back