Plywood bee hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee Boys

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has any one made plywood brood boxes and are they warm enough for winter?
Are there any problems with them?
Thank you

Glue up all the cut edges with PVA and they should last a few years but will rot or delaminate sooner or later.ive got a few to change over to cedar because there's entrances at each corner where they've rotted but they are around five years old.

As long as the dimensions are right and it is good quality exterior Ply you should be ok
E

Make them a cosy or two?
Ply must be a bit cold up in Yorkshire
The bees will do much better

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 133
I have a poly hive and it is very light, but was thinking of making plywood hives becouse they are cheeper.

I stopped using ply on anything left outside. Despite seling edges on WBP ply with pva glue or using designated sealants, any wood here in winter is wet for roughly 3 months of the year in winter (and the same this summer!) and delaminates ...

I have a poly hive and it is very light, but was thinking of making plywood hives becouse they are cheeper.

Years ago a friend of mine investigated the feasibility of making poly hives for me - he was a woodwork teacher, I was raised in the craft, he had a redundant fully kitted out woodwork classroom in his rapidly dwindling school, I worked two weeks afloat, two off, he had contacts for discounted ply, I had a way with controlling delinquent children (his school was in a less advantaged part of Swansea) we were almost set to go when 'Second quality' flatpack cedar hives came to the fore, it was a no brainer, cost and saving of time/effort, they are only widely available at sale and convention times, but well worth taking a look at.

Ply gets wet and wet equals cold.

For the money a sheet of ply will cost you, a home made floor topped by poly will work out more cost effective and produce more honey due to the warmth.

Ply is a bad idea.

PH

HI I have used ply wood hives some years now. some of which are Seven years old and need replacing this year. I use external ply about £36 a sheet and that will make five brood and three supper I have a cutting list for a sheet if anyone wants it jjbe0

Cheap has chips make it youself

Last edited:
I have external ply hives (brood boxes only). I've glued 50mm celotex to the outsides, to add insulation and also shields the ply from rain. Works so far.

HI I have used ply wood hives some years now. some of which are Seven years old and need replacing this year.

I have always used cedar hives, some of which predate the second world war - none yet need replacing, none need painting/treating all are a heck of a lot lighter than ply.

I made a few plywood nucs, just because I had the ply laying about. They are used as travel boxes, or for emergency housing in the summer. I totally agree with the comments about cedar seconds.

I still have a few 18mm ply hives and supers. They are around 10 years old now and brood boxes are in need of replacing but supers are still looking good.
Yep, they are heavier than cedar or poly but if cost is a major consideration, worth a look IMO.
S

Latest posts

Back