plums

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My father-in-law has a plum tree which is laden with fruit, when is the best time to pick them, I don't know what variety they are but the skins ripen to a yellow and red colour

Victoria's sounds right. They will start to ripen over the next 2-3 weeks.

Yellow pershore is a very yellow variety that crops heavily. Not quite as sweet as Victoria.
E

I have a victoria plum and have eaten all mine. My dads are only just starting to ripen. Pick a ripe looking one and taste it. I find the ones ready for eating tend to pull off the tree quite easily. You can pick them and let them ripen off the tree as well.

I have a victoria plum and have eaten all mine. My dads are only just starting to ripen. Pick a ripe looking one and taste it. I find the ones ready for eating tend to pull off the tree quite easily. You can pick them and let them ripen off the tree as well.

I was thinking of picking them and ripening them in the house as last year they got eaten by birds and insects, would this be OK to do

I was thinking of picking them and ripening them in the house as last year they got eaten by birds and insects, would this be OK to do

As long as there are some that are ripe then the others wont be far behind so they can ripen in the house.

If you find yourself with a glut (even the most hardened plum eater will eventually find that enough is enough !) then unripe ones can be cooked - stewed plums and custard is just wonderful .. plum pies freeze well ... you can bottle them in light syrup and they will keep for months .. or real extravagance - plums in brandy (not all brandy ... sugar syrup with brandy). Lots of options ... plum jam is a taste of summer in the middle of winter.

Did you lose any in the storm last night? There were a few on the ground behind her house this morning.

Just a couple, When I can get down stairs (girly party) I will post a picture of them

That wasn't a storm - seen stronger draughts when I open the fridge :D.

No, all plums still there today should be getting myself around some of them by the end of the week

Can you use unripened ones for jam? my wife loves making the stuff and pinching my honey jars !!!!

sets easier - plum tarts and plum jam :drool5: Damsons -even nicer!

Damson jam ... the very best ... sadly, the shropshire prune is very hard to come by down here on the Costa del Hampshire ... I took a couple of cuttings a few years ago when I was in damson land but they didn't make it .. I've some seeds in the fridge at present doing 17 weeks 'winterising' before I try to grow them ... with a bit of luck I'll live long enough to taste them !

Halved and stoned, they freeze very well raw and as Pargyle they make an excellent preserve poached lightly in a little honey syrup with some brandy thrown in after cooking but before jarring in those clip bottles. Sterilise them for 15 minutes in one of those lidl/aldi jam cookers :)

I din't realise you could do so much with fruit besides making jam, I'll pass the info on to Mrs Redwood
picture of plums

Tip from my better half is to put one or more limes amongst fruit brought into the house to ripen to speed it along. Not sure how much truth there is in that, I've never thoroughly tested the idea. Most of our fruit goes straight from picking into the pot.

Latest posts

Back