Plans for 2013

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuttlefish

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I plan on:
- increasing from four to six hives;
- trying my hand at queen rearing, and;
- learning & practicing better swarm control.

How about you? Plans for the year?

a) More sunshine, leading to
b) more honey, leading to
c) early retirement and a sports car.

I also plan on increasing stock this year. And like you Scuttlefish will be rearing my own queens. I have already booked myself onto a queen rearing course and have Apidea's and 6 frame poly nucs ready and waiting.

Had some great experiences last year catching swarms and hope to again this year. So if you’re new to beekeeping and live in the Norfolk area and you have the proper equipment but need bees keep a look out on here. Unwanted swarms will be free to a good home.

Skyhook said:

b) more honey, leading to
c) early retirement and a sports car.

How much honey does a sports car cost?

I also plan on increasing stock this year. And like you Scuttlefish will be rearing my own queens. I have already booked myself onto a queen rearing course and have Apidea's and 6 frame poly nucs ready and waiting.

Yep, doing an "improver's" course this year which is going to cover queen rearing theory & practical - the apideas are still on the shopping list though!

My plan is just to get a reasonable amount of honey so I can justify some of my expenditure.
With any luck SWMBO may then let me buy more kit.

Not to touch or go near the bees until the weather gets to 15 degrees... something nobody appears can seem to do at the moment. Bees don't want to be disturbed.

My 'plans' were scuppered by the weather last year, and had a total increase of 1 hive from this time last year.
so... the same as last years plans! (aim between 40 and 50 hives, breed my own queens, gain another apiary and hopefully, honey!)

Plans??
I'm still waiting to make sure my bees make it through winter...
:eek:

I plan to hpefully become a beekeeper rather than the beeowner I am at the moment

Not to touch or go near the bees until the weather gets to 15 degrees... something nobody appears can seem to do at the moment. Bees don't want to be disturbed.

:iagree:

My first hive inside the apiary gate has a "do not disturb" sign hung on the mouseguard!

This is my first year of bee keeping so I'm planning to set up my hives and then get my bees settled in there! Just hope I can keep them happy and maybe get a few jars of honey later in the year! Lots of things to learn this year. Celebrating my 40th birthday too, so I can justify the cost of the hives!

Enjoy my beekeeping and improve in every aspect to ensure they are happy and healthy.

As usual my plan is to keep the hive numbers down to a sensible number. 5 will do fine, 4 would be better. (Oh and to continue to hide the deliveries from HWMBO - a trait shared with JBM I seem to recall.)
Cazza

I'll wait to see what the bees and the weather are planning first. Getting into microscopy and would like to try some queen rearing.

Now the BKA second year course is finally over, running our own taster sessions and small group beginner classes, co-ordinating swarm collection, improving queen breeding, aiming for 30 honey producing colonies and doing II and queen assessment etc for the bee improvement group. Having a go at Gen Hus and learning to say no.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Plan on re-queening my two 'spiteful' Italian-cross colonies from a couple of pussy-cat Carnie-cross hives, just as soon as the weather allows. Will be giving away - in exchange for feedback - the excess queens in order to develop (hopefully) a good reputation.

Also plan on building a traditional Japanese 'nest of boxes' beehive, just for a bit of fun.

LJ

Back