piping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlander

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
12 14x12 hives. 2 standard nationals and 8 14x12 nucs.
Yesterday day Was inspecting one of the hives and whilst doing so heard a queen piping. Now being new to beekeeping It did not register until now that this could mean that I have a virgin in the hive. Am I right in thinking this. there are lots of egg and BIAS. THere has not been a break in laying of eggs. It appears there is a queen that laying though have not seen the queen for about three weeks now. Any thought would ne appreciated any thoughts on this. Sorry about standard of text but done on phone while in bed.

Last edited:
looks like there trying to replace the old queen. i have a hive that i last saw the queen on the 4th of august and there was eggs and brood, i looked today after treating for varoa and there is just a few capped brood and about 4 queen cells torn down and there is a good few drone in this hive so im hoping that there is a new queen in there and im hoping that she gets mated in time

I have checked my records and the queen was last seen on the 12 August. She was seen before that on the 5th August.

1 August found uncharged queen cells. This was capped on the 5 August and definitely was a supersede by the 12 August there was no trace of this cell so I thought either had a virgin in there with her mother or they had decided not to supersede her and tore it down. Now it was six weeks ago I saw the charged cell and now a piping queen heard on the 13 September. Would like to know opinions of others.

Newly mated queens and virgins pipe, probably your queen is going to be superseded and has just mated

Checking through the dates would suggest that I have a knew queen and hopefully mated.

Yesterday day Was inspecting one of the hives and whilst doing so heard a queen piping. Now being new to beekeeping It did not register until now that this could mean that I have a virgin in the hive. Am I right in thinking this. there are lots of egg and BIAS. THere has not been a break in laying of eggs. It appears there is a queen that laying though have not seen the queen for about three weeks now. Any thought would ne appreciated any thoughts on this. Sorry about standard of text but done on phone while in bed.
last time i heard piping in a hive it was a swarm next day - goodluck

They will also pipe from inside the cell, so factor that into your calculations as well.

WOW, impressive stuff, all I hear is buzzing in my ears from the 2 that got into my smock:gnorsi:

"last time i heard piping in a hive it was a swarm next day"

Not just queens that pipe. Scout worker bees "pipe" just before the swarm leaves. In response the bees that leave with the swarm "warm" their wing muscles up and when up to flying temperature, the scout bees will then do their "buzzing runs" to excite the bees to rush out of the hive in mass and into the air.

Back