Pink Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jenkinsbrynmai, Yes there are a couple nearby. Will need to look this up. Thanks.

Any ideas what navy blue pollen might be from?

Strong navy blue could be willow herb but it seems a bit early for that yet.

PH

Mine are bringing in dark purple/black from large head poppies.......and here comes the rain!

Have just had a look in Dorothy Hodges pollen book , could be Red Deadnettle or Copper Beech more likley the latter.

just checked my hives and there is baby pink pollen and bright yellow pollen coming in could the pink be blackberry as they are just starting to flower around here also any idea what the bright yellow could be ??

just checked my hives and there is baby pink pollen and bright yellow pollen coming in could the pink be blackberry as they are just starting to flower around here also any idea what the bright yellow could be ??

Probably not Blackberry - it's a more sludgy colour.
Cazza

Get minor amounts of the pink pollen coming in at most locations most years. Never a lot, but obvious and quite pretty. Being such a minor source I never really bothered finding out what it was, and so many times have seen pollen of absolutely known source that does not match the book satisfactorily at all that I nowadays never look in it. Unless its of one or two very very distinctive pollens, its very difficult to use the book to decide the pollen source.

Do bees ever switch plants when collecting pollen so then perhaps influence the colour?

Latest posts

Back