Pick up Truck

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about load of full colonies on a trailer, would you advise this? Would make my life simple as I have 4x4 but not a pickup..

How about load of full colonies on a trailer, would you advise this? Would make my life simple as I have 4x4 but not a pickup..

No problem, I truck my bees about on a trailer all the time. I have a couple of trailers, the one I use most is a leaf sprung single axle trailer about 6.5 ft by 4ft which is great for day to day work then I've a bigger 15ft by 5ft twin axle jobby for big moves. The bees don't seem to suffer in either any worse than they would in the back of my l200, obviously care is taken on rough driving to not jiggle them about too much. I don't think I'd break many eggs ;)

Thank you both, will work a lot better for me. Most roads here are rather bumpy .

Seems I dodged a bullet here.

Cant wait for the L200 to turn up.

1st March seems an age away!!

Argh you've got me looking on auto trader now seriously considering (find excuses) to get myself a nice truck!

I'm expecting lots of pictures of your new truck when it arrives!

There look like there's some half decent trucks knocking about... now... if I could just pull £10k out of my...

B

and p.s. what's the consensus of manual vs auto with regards to a 4x4 truck?

Last edited:
Argh you've got me looking on auto trader now seriously considering (find excuses) to get myself a nice truck!

I'm expecting lots of pictures of your new truck when it arrives!

There look like there's some half decent trucks knocking about... now... if I could just pull £10k out of my...

B

Don't worry. I'll take some pics! :)

I guess the consensus is only a fool would go for an auto on a pick up truck!

Yep. I've gone auto! ;)

Ever since my last company car was auto I swore I'd never drive a manual again! it frees up your left hand for holding a coffee!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Don't worry. I'll take some pics! :)

Yep. I've gone auto! ;)

Ever since my last company car was auto I swore I'd never drive a manual again! it frees up your left hand for holding a coffee!

I love driving autos too, in my case an age thing and pure laziness! Is the pick up truck auto advice based on experience or just that someone likes their manual box? Drove an auto Porsche Cayenne around their off road track a few years ago and it was fantastic......suited me as apart from lessening throttle and steering the thing drove itself, mind you it would be rubbish for hauling bees around!
S

Ah it was only an assumption. no direct advice

There seems an obsession in this country with manual gearboxes.

Other than the fact they are slightly less efficient there isn't anything that can put me off them

Ah it was only an assumption. no direct advice

There seems an obsession in this country with manual gearboxes.

Other than the fact they are slightly less efficient there isn't anything that can put me off them

I switched to a pick up two years and would not go back, bought a manual. Better for towing (3 ton trailer loads of sheep) than an auto and more fuel efficient. Only problem with them is the parking! But you will find tricks, aim for spaces around the edge of the carpark where you can overhang! Its not too much of an issue.

Interestingly autos reliably have better re-sale value. By a good margin. I guess and more farmers / tradies are driving autos. And the fuel efficiency is catching up.

There is also the benefit of they are 100% VAT reclaimable if used for business. Bonus.

Anyway good look with your truck. Those pesky cars soon get out of the way when you come thundering down the road!

I wont be towing and resale value is important as I'll be selling after 3/4 years so that's good to know.

Someone will no doubt get a great pick up truck that's done about 60k mileage but never towed or been pushed to it's limits.

I am very excited about the prospect of being able to fit stuff in the boot.

Going from a small hatchback to a pick up is going to make my life so much easier!

Prefer manual myself its also gives you much more MPG vs an automatic. Big trucks drink diesel, so if doing high mileage should be a consideration.
My Isuzu returns between 32-34 miles to the gallon (country roads and hills).....despite the manufactures claims of 40......on a long flat 55MPH run with a following wind maybe.

it's a difficult one for me as I do high mileage but I'm just hoping the fact it's brand new it won't be too bad. If I can get 30mpg from the auto I'll be happy.

I wont be towing and resale value is important as I'll be selling after 3/4 years so that's good to know.

Someone will no doubt get a great pick up truck that's done about 60k mileage but never towed or been pushed to it's limits.

I am very excited about the prospect of being able to fit stuff in the boot.

Going from a small hatchback to a pick up is going to make my life so much easier!

You've done right with the auto then, I'd have done the same. The only reason I don't bother with re-sale value is I get my truck on lease so i don't sell them when I'm done! Its all about getting some more pennies back at the end of the day!

I was considering lease but if, god forbid, I got made redundant, I know I could sell it at any time.

Leases definitely work out better value in terms of depreciation from new.

I know that when I get it and drive I'll be happy with my decision vs the money saved on buying and running it. can't beat a long commute in an auto

I drive a D-Max. Never got it over 30mpg. Short runs on country roads it makes little difference. My mate has shown me his at 40mpg but he's a rep so loads of motorway miles.

Yours will be fine. But you will certainly notice your fuel costs will be higher than a little hatchback!

My driving is 80% motorway so should get close to 30ish mpg I reckon. any more is a bonus.

Yep. I'm prepared for my costs to double but it's offset as work will pay more per mile for the 2.4 litre engine

Prefer manual myself its also gives you much more MPG vs an automatic. Big trucks drink diesel, so if doing high mileage should be a consideration.
My Isuzu returns between 32-34 miles to the gallon (country roads and hills).....despite the manufactures claims of 40......on a long flat 55MPH run with a following wind maybe.

That’s still very good mpg for a big beast. Manufacturers have been found wanting with their mpg claims, not sure if its true but heard they strip everything off so they can to get to some of the figures claimed.
I am sure the OP will enjoy the new purchase and hope they report back regularly
S

Umm the import mitsubishi 4x4 auto was bloody awful, was lucky to get 20 mpg on the island. Was better over on the mainland I nearly got 28mpg !

Don't worry. I'll take some pics! [emoji4]

Yep. I've gone auto! [emoji6]

Spare hand for coffee...

Sold.

Last edited:
Back