Pick up Truck

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a Saab that was great for carrying stuff but bottoms out on the farm tracks, so sold it and got a range rover not bad on fuel about 25-27 on the road , took it across farms in snow great best buy for me, then snow went and fields full of water took across the worst fields for a fun spin, good all round didn't get stuck but covered in mud up to the door handles took hours jetting it clean still overall not bad a bit short of room without putting back seats down

Looked at lots of alternatives to hiring in faster trucks for hen the mogs are not suitable.

Yes on the Hilux....its my favourite of those I have seen but the Navarra pushes it close.

Isuze are pretty good and a lot cheaper, FIAT and MItsubishi and another one I cant remember are the same truck.

A friend has a Ssangyong and is happy with it.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Great Wall. Cheapest of the family and whilst not as wonderful as a Hilux they are sound workhorses and getting more popular.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Great Wall. Cheapest of the family and whilst not as wonderful as a Hilux they are sound workhorses and getting more popular.

Looked at them and they are fine, but their MPG was about 10 miles less than an equivalent Isuzu; so running costs would have been higher.

Would love a defender....

dina saur images.jpg

BUT... I would not swap my 2000 Defender Td5 110 pickup... will still be worth £11K when the JapCrap is rusting in pieces!.............
although a plush leather interior, air con, automatic box and servo assisted break lights would be nice!!:icon_204-2:

Nadelik Lowen

Looked at them and they are fine, but their MPG was about 10 miles less than an equivalent Isuzu; so running costs would have been higher.

Interesting.......the dealer we visited for Isuzu was also the Great Wall dealer. Said they had very similar spec. Only downside was that they recommended maximum towing weight was less. Anecdotally they were a little less easy to handle on the road than some others. More of them have been built than almost any (even all?) the others. Again anecdotally, the factory builds some of the others on contyr5act, or at least some parts of them, and their truck is actually a hybrid of copied parts of the others.

Interesting.......the dealer we visited for Isuzu was also the Great Wall dealer. Said they had very similar spec.
If he was selling both he probably would say that...they are similar, but MPG is much less for Wall.
I'm told that the latest Isuzu's are having 1.9 litre engines fitted (rather than the 2.5) for even higher fuel economy, but still retain their 3.5 ton max towing.
I figure I might exchange mine if they prove reliable...40+ MPG in a truck is not to be sneezed at.

As a Navara owner, can honestly say Hilux will be the next purchase. Navara up keep is extortionate, build quality/design is questionable - stupid things like wheel bearings and half shafts, 4 wheel drive switches to name a couple. 26MPG is a true reflection of fuel economy, I don't necessarily drive to conserve fuel but neither do I bomb around like a nutter. Things I wouldn't be without are good off road tyres & the hard top. I can fit 6 commercials in the back with roofs are removed.

A lot of hill/ sheep farmers in my area and the Izuzu D Max seems to be the most popular. I think it's down to price (less than a Hilux) and the one of the best towing weights. They get a good rep for reliability.

If he was selling both he probably would say that...they are similar, but MPG is much less for Wall.
I'm told that the latest Isuzu's are having 1.9 litre engines fitted (rather than the 2.5) for even higher fuel economy, but still retain their 3.5 ton max towing.
I figure I might exchange mine if they prove reliable...40+ MPG in a truck is not to be sneezed at.

Not so sure...have known the guy for years, and he is honest enough to say he makes more off the Isuzu. Great Walls are getting very popular with farmers, but then if its for running round the farm, and the mpg is so different, then its probably of less importance than if you do large mileages.

The Isuzus were several thousand cheaper than the Hilux, but the latter would still be my choice if I can afford it.

I think I've been put off the Navaras now. between the L200 and the hilux which I'm get to test drive

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I think I've been put off the Navaras now. between the L200 and the hilux which I'm get to test drive

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Good plan ...I think they both have good points and both are very reliable and hardworking trucks. As much down to taste and the minor pros and cons for a decision I would think ?

I too am in the mkt in the new year and i've narrowed it down to the L200 or hilux. Now before i go shopping, what do you recommend i have to look out for in either models please ?

Last edited:
Navara's are every bit as good as the toyota's now,years back toyota were the front runners but they all seem to have caught up now.i have a old land rover and a large trailer as the double cab trucks would just be just too small for my needs,i can get more in my berlingo.All those big jap things are not very economical as an every day run around and in the uk they clobber you on road tax.

Why aren't any of the bigger players here using trailers ? Or are they ?

Some rpound us are. The hives are screwed down to the trailer and just moved and dumped ...followed by a pick up later :)

Back