Petrol or not in garden machinery

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
Winter is coming.

Which is better to over-winter ones garden machinery: Keep the tanks filled with petrol including a fuel stabiliser or run them to totally empty?

Winterise
Drain fuel and remove sparking plug
Fill cylinder with winterising oil
and turn over engine to ensure piston fully coated
Replace plug
On wet sump engines drain engine oil and place note on engine... oil removed.

Old fuel is worst enemy.. Supermarket best has a shelf life of one month... less if mixed with 2 stroke!

Yeghes da

Winter is coming.

Which is better to over-winter ones garden machinery: Keep the tanks filled with petrol including a fuel stabiliser or run them to totally empty?

My four stroke engined grass basher , over Winters with whatever petrol is left in the tank !
The oil is checked for cleanliness, usually looks clean !
I don’t use multi grade !
Sae 40 !
Recommended by Brigs and Stratton !
Never a problem starting following Spring.
First or second pull !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

When are people going to realize that it is not a good idea to ask beekeepers questions?
:sorry:

Winterise
Drain fuel and remove sparking plug
Fill cylinder with winterising oil
and turn over engine to ensure piston fully coated
Replace plug
On wet sump engines drain engine oil and place note on engine... oil removed.

Old fuel is worst enemy.. Supermarket best has a shelf life of one month... less if mixed with 2 stroke!

Yeghes da
Cheers is spot on and it is what I always did until around 15 years ago
There is an alternative, that I have used for years with great results on all my small petrol engines. I always use Briggs and Stratton Fuel fit, winter and summer in all the fuel for machines I only use periodically. It avoids the problems of components "drying out" inside the engine and keeps the needles/holes/etc lubricated and the fuel in good order for several months at a time. My chainsaw, mower, etc etc always start first time after being laid up for months.

If its a 2 stroke I make sure all the fuel is removed from the tank, then if possible run it to make sure the carb is empty...If you leave fuel in the carb the petrol will evaporate and the oil will thicken and will tend to block the jets when you try to restart it in the spring. In the spring, if you try to start it and the compression is low, squirt some carb cleaner or similar directly into the air intake to loosen the piston rings (I use WD 40). If its a pull start be careful when you try to start it (after lubing the intake) the engine may kick back.

Winter is coming.

Chainsaw gets used sporadically all year. Stock cut the grass and don't need petrol.

I leave petrol in my 4 stroke lawnmower over winter with no problems over teh last 30 odd years.
I leave petrol in my 4 stroke portable generator for years before using it. Starts with no issues ( new plug and carb)

I would never leave fuel in a two stroke engine - the oil/petrol mix tends to unmix and block things..*two strokes are spawn of the devil in my view

I think I'll do what Cheers says with the lawnmower but I'll use a fuel stabiliser for the generator as if the power goes off the last thing I want to be doing is looking for engine oil in the dark.

It depends on the fuel and the machine, but generally empty tank and carburettor is the best advice.

If the really expensive fuels are used (£15 per gallon - over three quid a litre!) sold for the express use in small engines, the tank could be left full.

Apart from that, the tank and carburrettor should be completely empty as the modern day fuels both (1) contain ethanol and (2) rather more of the volatile fractions are included.

Alcohol is hygroscopic and will attract water. When the larger fraction of lower alkanes evaporate, the fuel will be ‘stale’ and the engine may not start or run properly.

Winterising, by adding oil to to the cylinder(s), to line them completely, is a good insurance plan. Spark plugs should be replaced and the engine turned over until the piston (of single cylinder 4-stroke engines) is on the compression stroke so that both valves are closed to avoid condensation within the cylinder. Same with 2-strokes, but either inlet or outlet port will be open, wherever the piston is postioned.

The situation (with all cylinder valves closed) cannot be achieved for twin cylinder engines with 360 degree crankshafts, but could be for those with 180 degree cranks.

Engine oil should be changed at the end the season to remove any acidic residues which are collected by the oil during the running season - engine internal components will be better protected.

For engines with the modern type of carburettor, follow the instructions - usually they specifically state that leaving fuel in them is only OK if it to be used again within a month.

For multiple cylinder engines it was often advised to spray an oil mixture into the inlet manifold as the engine was switched off, allowing the internals to be coated with an oil film as the engine slowed from fast idle to stop.

Of course, as the poster indicated, the tank should either be full or completely empty, never part-filled, to avoid condensation problems. A plastic sheet fitted under the fuel cap can be advantageous if the cap is a vented one.

I have a diesel generator, so the fuel issue is lessened, but the tank is always full, ready for action, if required.

Engines should never need replenishing with oil before starting - a recipe for a potential expensive failure, unless the engine is fitted with a low oil level trip (and that may not be fail-safe!). Especially so, if it is dark at the time!

Also, generators should be run periodically, to lessen the likelihood of poor starting, when required, and to avoid any damp in the windings leading to an elecrical failure.

Hope that clears up up some of the issues. Better than just posting a ‘nothing post’ as in post #4.

Better than just posting a ‘nothing post’ as in post #4.

And the accuser called me me Vacuous!!

If you run on methanol... drain everything!!

Yeghes da

And the accuser called me me Vacuous!!

Always knew you were a me me type....
Olly is just being his usual self and fishing for a rise from a humorous post. Perhaps he has yet to hear that if you ask 2 beekeepers the same question you will get totally different answers. Which is exactly what posts 2 and 3 confirm.
Personally I drain every tank and carb that's not in use over winter.

If it has a metal tank fill it to the top
If you drain the oil there is a likelihood that bearings can become dry
Modern engine oils are designed to withstand low temperatures W = winter

Alternatively, bin petrol garden tools and invest in some new Li battery ones - no over-wintering needed :)
'Oh what, did i look at you funny so you arent going to start now? 10 pulls, 50?' - 2 stroke or 4, small petrol engines can go to hell!

Alternatively, bin petrol garden tools and invest in some new Li battery ones - no over-wintering needed :)
'Oh what, did i look at you funny so you arent going to start now? 10 pulls, 50?' - 2 stroke or 4, small petrol engines can go to hell!

Modern 4 strokes start in 2 pulls after winter, 1 pull in rest of year. You're quoting 20 year old technology ...

Yep ! Very true !

Buy a scythe and a pair of shears. No petrol required!

Alternatively, bin petrol garden tools and invest in some new Li battery ones - no over-wintering needed [emoji4]

I have bought li-lo .
Extended handle hedge trimmer ! Also strimmer .
Adequate for my out apiary .
I grass bash with my 4stroke engined mower !

Had problems starting a small Honda powered 4 stroke compressor motor.
Had been stored on its side for some months and oil had migrated into the cylinder.
No 1 son said it had "ceased solid".... took out spark plug and oil poured out!

MORAL is to check over and service.. before you need to use it... my vintage bikes have labels attached to them saying... oil and petrol drained... on large red and yellow labels... from Bogey Knights army& navy surplus Devonport!

Yeghes da

Had problems starting a small Honda powered 4 stroke compressor motor.
Had been stored on its side for some months and oil had migrated into the cylinder.
No 1 son said it had "ceased solid".... took out spark plug and oil poured out!

MORAL is to check over and service.. before you need to use it... my vintage bikes have labels attached to them saying... oil and petrol drained... on large red and yellow labels... from Bogey Knights army& navy surplus Devonport!

Yeghes da

When in the RAF we had to use a leather sling and rope to turn over ( mags off ) the radial engines on Handley Page Hastings ,as the bottom cylinders were subject to hydralicing if left overnight !

Latest posts

Back