Pesticide incidents

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I had a small incident 2 years ago, a big incident last year and now 2 big incidents this year. Is anyone else seeing a similar pattern?

dare I ask what happened?

At least inch deep dead and dying bees on the hive floors and outside. This year 28 hives in 2 apiaries many miles apart, only 2 completely dead so far. Last year 17 hives across 2 nearby apiaries affected and only 5 survived in the end.

I have had no actual loss but the farm manager at one of the farms I keep bees on said last year (when we were talking about the neonic ban) that it would just mean he'd end up by killing more of my bees by using nastier sprays.

have you contacted the regional bee inspector to take samples

have you contacted the regional bee inspector to take samples

No need, you just need to do it yourself and send off to York. I've only taken samples from 2 hives per apiary though - everything will be the same.

Sprayed pesticides most likely. As to type I have no idea.

We've seen smaller kills in 2 more apiaries since my last post. This must all have happened around the same time between 1 and 2 weeks ago.

what are the local farmers growing?

Rape and wheat mainly, a few beans and peas here and there, possibly maize but haven't seen any. I don't really understand it because rape had already gone over and the bees are obviously not on wheat. Two years ago it was about 6 months before the lab results came back so I'm not holding my breath.

Well you never stop learning. My pesticide incidents are actually CBPV, something I've never seen in 17 seasons until now. Apparently lots around here at the moment.

Well you never stop learning. My pesticide incidents are actually CBPV, something I've never seen in 17 seasons until now. Apparently lots around here at the moment.

It can be spectacular when it goes Chris....can get part of the colony, all of the colony, or even attack it in waves. Have had it in relatively mild amounts, but some reports from further south are really bad, one guy I am sending home bred stock down to as an experiment (his experiment, not mines) has suffered 50% losses from this cause in each of the last two years. It does look like a serious pesticide kill when it happens.

Just for clarity...by 'further south' I meant further south than me.........the worst reports are from a little north of you. Some guys...bee farmers....have had a rising pattern over the last three years or so and its getting really serious now.

Last edited:
I had it bad back in 2012 Chris and it was the biggest colonies that went down first and as Murray said no real pattern to it, that year I had more kit without bees than I had with bees

Any update on your colonies that were affected by CBPV Chris ?

Chris is taking a well-earned holiday. Back shortly I expect, so no doubt he'll reply then.

Back