Paynes Poly nuc feeders leaking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi

Bought a load of paynes poly nucs, painted them with masonry paint. Whent to inspect them yesterday after feeding with syrup the day before and most the nucs are leaking the syrup! Purchased a few last year, used the same paint no problem!

Any suggestions? We want the bees going in strong for the winter so want to avoid transferring them to another box.

Have you painted inside the feeder? It's not clear whether you have. I paint mine with gloss paint and haven't had any issues.

I had a Swienty one like this. It is horrible when this happens as the wasps get cracking. Once the polystyrene is impregnated with syrup even when you seal them up the wasps eat into the boxes from the outside. In addition the whole box supports mould. Definitely paint with gloss or a few coats of Ronseal wood stain which woks well but before you use them.

I had a Swienty one like this. It is horrible when this happens as the wasps get cracking. Once the polystyrene is impregnated with syrup even when you seal them up the wasps eat into the boxes from the outside. In addition the whole box supports mould. Definitely paint with gloss or a few coats of Ronseal wood stain which woks well but before you use them.
That’s what I fear will happen now. Well, lesson learnt the hard way. Will take more care to cover next time!

Wasn’t keen on using gloss because of the fumes. Seems it’s normal practice though.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Jimmy, I did but with masonry paint, which Gloss paint do you use? How long do you let dey before using the box?
Probably the cheapest in B&Q or the one where I had some left over from decorating. So long as the paint isn't tacky I'd be happy to use it. I often use thymolated syrup so I'm not too concerned about paint fumes, I don't think the bees are bothered either.

Latest posts

Back