Paynes or Maisemores Poly Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs

I like the thickness of the Paynes poly nun but hate the feeder.

considering at the maisemores option

anyone got any pros and Cons i should consider?

I like the thickness of the Paynes poly nun but hate the feeder.

considering at the maisemores option

anyone got any pros and Cons i should consider?

I have only briefly seen the maisemores and have had quite a few of the Paynes.

Personally I block off the feeder with foam as I don't use it.

yep, the feeder is even less useful as i use 14 x 12 frames so i can only fill it so far, its just messy and irritating,
considering just chopping it out and making extra space for another frame or 2

I have both - three paynes and a dozen or so Maisie's (plus another ten at the association apiary). Maisie's for me every time from now on. I really do like them. Some twitter on about there being no beespace under the roof but I've never found this an issue, but if people are relly upset about this, they now will supply a polycarbonate sheet similar to the Paynes one at a small extra cost. They seem a bit thicker as well

:iagree:
It seems Maisees have ironed out all the nuisance issues of paynes boxes (hive and nuc) when they produced their own.

I bought Nucs from Paynes first batch and really like them however, I also block off the Paynes feeder when the Nuc is in use - I prefer to use a rapid feeder in an eke rather than have to clean out the built in feeder....

I gave the Maisemore offering a really good look over and would now buy them in preference to the Paynes ones. They weren't on offer when I first bought poly nucs. What I really like about Maisemores is that you could just buy their extension brood box and make your own floor, CB and roof to suit. I commented on that to some of their staff when I first saw their separate brood boxes. They were pleased to tell me that they were about to begin production/sale of separate floors. Separate floors, whether bought or of your own construction gives these units huge flexibility. Bees do really well in poly nucs.

I should note that on handling the Maisemores Nucs, they seem to be of a much higher density than the Paynes ones.That is a personal observation.

all good info thanks.....
i currently have 3 x Paynes Nucs, so i think i will cut feeders out or block then try there rapid feeders.
but i think a purchase of 3 x maismores might be sneaking into workshop!

unless anyone wants to swap 3x paynes used for some maismore kit?

Maisie's are the best in my view, they do a great range of accessories too.

I like the maisemore ones, have never used paynes to compare though. No sticking of roof to box, no built in feeder to mess with, buy the ones with the 14x12 eke, come with a miller style feeder, no issues.

Really like the fact that you can buy extra brood boxes\supers\travel screens\floors. Makes them very flexible in my eyes

unless anyone wants to swap 3x paynes used for some maismore kit?

Have 2 Maisies with the horrible sloppy top feeder... hard to inspect... have around 40 Paynes... much preferred ( except hornets attack the polystyrene around the feed box compartment!)

Wanna swap ( will have to wait till season ends as everything if full of bees at present)

Yeghes da

The only awkwardness I've found with Maisemore's polynuc, (apart from the feeder which I haven't re-tried yet...), is the depth between the bottom bars and the mesh - it means a lot of brace comb that has to be removed when hiving a nuc. (Why is it such a large gap?)

Notwithstanding that, I'm a fan!

Well folks... I have just purchased yet another 10 Paynes

Maisies's polly is not as good... their full hives are a disaster... snap and crumble
do not even hold a candle to the BHS Polly Nationals...
IMONVHO of course!!

Yeghes da

Just hived a swarm from my Maisie's poly nuc, into my Maisie's poly hive.

Maisie's every time for me!

I bought Nucs from Paynes first batch and really like them however, I also block off the Paynes feeder when the Nuc is in use - I prefer to use a rapid feeder in an eke rather than have to clean out the built in feeder....

I gave the Maisemore offering a really good look over and would now buy them in preference to the Paynes ones. They weren't on offer when I first bought poly nucs. What I really like about Maisemores is that you could just buy their extension brood box and make your own floor, CB and roof to suit. I commented on that to some of their staff when I first saw their separate brood boxes. They were pleased to tell me that they were about to begin production/sale of separate floors. Separate floors, whether bought or of your own construction gives these units huge flexibility. Bees do really well in poly nucs.

I should note that on handling the Maisemores Nucs, they seem to be of a much higher density than the Paynes ones.That is a personal observation.
Paynes now have a top feeder for their poly nuc, it is a great design. I agree the built in feeder is a waste of space and I blank it off.

I have both but prefer the Maisemore I particularly like the top feeder due to it offering further insulation to the roof when overwintering in a Nuc box.
I am slowly disposing of my Paynes having bought quite a few Maisemore however as already shown it's a case of different beekeeper and different ideas both do the job.

I have also bought a few Maisemore with the separate floor which I think are great although a little more expensive to buy.

I just use fondant in my paines poly nuc feeder, works a treat.
E

Latest posts

Back