Paynes or Maisemores Poly Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else use Parks 3in1 poly nucs ?

Come with 14x12 eke and feeder already weatherproofed :spy:

The only awkwardness I've found with Maisemore's polynuc, (apart from the feeder which I haven't re-tried yet...), is the depth between the bottom bars and the mesh - it means a lot of brace comb that has to be removed when hiving a nuc. (Why is it such a large gap?)

Notwithstanding that, I'm a fan!

Jon has realised that - it's because the OMF if cast into the hive during moulding which gives an extra bee space recess over the mesh area. They've dispensed with that now and the mesh gets screwed into the nuc with four screws and washers .as a retro fit - more fiddle to produce as each has to be done manually but he wasn't happy with the brace comb issue.

all good info thanks.....
i currently have 3 x Paynes Nucs, so i think i will cut feeders out or block then try there rapid feeders.
but i think a purchase of 3 x maismores might be sneaking into workshop!

I've ten Payne's poly nucs and all have the feeder cut out making them eight frame. I use an old bread knife heated up with a blow torch. Cuts through/melts really fast the recesses left from the feeder can be filled with some of the cut out panel. If you cut just enough to fit into the recess if you run two edges along the flame it shrinks and will fit into the curved part better. Just glue in with frame sealant.
If you have more than one nuc to do then the panels cut out make great insulated dummy boards.

Nice to see this thread revisited.
I like both but both have niggles, maisies the lack of bee space at the top and paynes the thin roof causing condensation. I also have a few of the thorne s poly nucs, oddly these have too much space either end causing brace comb issues, probably because they're designed to fit slightly wider frames.
Maisies are an easy fix by taking a bead depth off the frame rests, paynes need the roof depth increasing by glueing a slab of poly over the existing roof and the thorne nuc can be saved by glueing a 5mm correx sheet either end. One day someone will come up with the perfect national nuc out of the box, maybe lyson? I do like their poly hive design.
They're all useable though, even the much maligned side feeder on the paynes nuc I use with no problems.
All in all, bravo! Polynucs in general, brilliant bits of kit, I particularly like the lyson mini plus for queen mating.

I have nine of the park nucs in 14x12 the oldest being about six, they get used for overwintering nucs for the following year and have performed well with little sign of weathering I do give them a couple of coats of paint though. Just a couple of niggles the feeder needs a paint on the inside, the castellated spacers can be a bit awkward and no crown board which will have to be made if the feeder is not left on and all the joints need to have Vaseline applied. The sliding floor also tends to get glued in place so I place it level with with the front of the box. I did look at the maisemore ones with them being six frame but prefer the wide entrance of the parks.

Not one mention of the Swienty nucs.

I have 20 odd and I have some as Nats and some can be used as Langstroth.

Very good quality and the more modern ones (as some of mine are 15 years +)
have a built is slot to take a 12mm piece of ply to reduce from Lang to Nat but also makes a feeder.

I have a couple of Paynes acquired via buying this and that and there is a considerable difference in the weight which suggests to me there is a difference in the material.

Are the Swientys perfect? No as the entrance needs modding which I have done to increase it.

Apart from that I really like them.

PH

I think the OP will seeing that we all have our favorites and they all work well. Some brands seem to suit one whilst others see them as disadvantages.
Perhaps best to realise that whatever brand you buy the bees will appreciate the insulation.
For what it's worth I run both Paynes and Maismore nucs and like them both, although if I had to choose it would probably be the Maisy as there is less footprint and I can fit 4 to hive stand whereas can only fit three Paynes, but I wouldn't make a big fuss over either being the ideal nuc to buy.
For what it's worth I removed the top bee space in the Paynes by fitting metal runners (Cut a slot and knock them in, makes them more durable) and I like the polycarbonate see through cover...apart from when it gets stuck to the lid when I'm just having a quick peek. I fashioned some for the maismores for when I'm not using the feeder.
I suspect all these options may not be helping OP in his decision.

Does anyone know the actual grams per litre of the Maismore poly as the website says three times stronger than packaging poly which is a bit of a fudge in my book.

I really like the idea of the separate floors as I had that in the past with timber nucs and it was a very handy idea though of course made for more of a faff when moving them.

PH

Wowzers, one of my old questions is brought to the surface!
So an update, I stuck with the three Payne’s NUCs, - cut all feeders out and run as 8 frames, on 14x12 so quite large,
I then brought a couple of extra super sized layers to use for feeding fondant or surup.

I have all three out at moment as bait. Hives with old frames. Fingers crossed

Will try and work out how to get some images up

Same here

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 41422A47-0C60-49D2-9013-42ADDD0638FE.jpeg
    41422A47-0C60-49D2-9013-42ADDD0638FE.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 338
  • 0E7CBE81-B5D2-4BE8-84AF-5C7611188A0C.jpeg
    0E7CBE81-B5D2-4BE8-84AF-5C7611188A0C.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 335
I'm glad this old subject has re-surfaced, had a torrid time last year, for one reason or another. I didn't feed nor treat any colony's, the Park box's again out performed both maisi and Paynes, didn't lose a colony from the parks, might be a fluke but again 100% survival, they were also the strongest when hived two weeks ago. All nucs were on one site in a line in no specific order.
Certainly not scientific by any means but results from these nuc box's are outstanding.

What make is the Park nuc?

I have some Stehr national polynucs via Thornes which the bees always do well in. I prefer the Paynes polynucs over them and Maisemore's mainly for how easy it is to do a quick visual check without having to remove the feeder.

BS Honeybees poly nucs

https://www.bshoneybees.

co.uk/polyhives

I have four of them. In my very limited expeience they have served me well, and I hear of more people using them

Received my May copy of The Scottish Beekeeper today. In there is a small feature about the Drayton Hive.- an insulated double walled horizontal hive using eighteen 14X12 Hoffman spaced frames. Anyone actually use one ??

Latest posts

Back