Paynes, closing?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now all I have to do is face the Spanish inquisition when the nice man from Fedex arrives with three huge boxes !
Best to stand there with hands on hips, head shaking and tutting loudly whilst asking "how the hell has that happened? I ordered a nice pair of shoes for you pet, and they've sent me all this..."
Tbh it's never really worked for me but I keep trying
K :)

I picked up another 14 x 12 hive (Like I needed one !! ? ) and some supers (I never have enough), now all I have to do is face the Spanish inquisition when the nice man from Fedex arrives with three huge boxes !
Nothing to the inquisition I’ll have when that pallet of nucs arrives! 😱

It's a bit sad ... I've always had excellent service from them and Roger is super bloke .. all my hives and nucs are from them. The whole family are nice helpful people ... but .. it's a tough business these days and they are not the first beekeeping supplies company to call it a day. I think they are going to keep the beekeeping and bees/queens side of the business going.

I wish them all well, whatever the future holds .. After100 years in business hopefully they will still have a presence in beekeeping.
I’ve only ever been disappointed once while dealing with them.
I ordered 4x6 frame 14x12 nucs and the 6th frame was basically foundation I complained but was told that it was standard. When I referenced the NBU’s definition there was a lot of mumbling and promising of recompense but tbh I couldn’t be arsed to chase it up.

A great shame, had some good stuff from them in the past but Roger & Becky are carrying on breeding queens & nucs which is great news as I've only ever had brilliant bees from them. Also bought a shedload of kit in the sale including half price Apideas.

I picked up another 14 x 12 hive (Like I needed one !! ? ) and some supers (I never have enough), now all I have to do is face the Spanish inquisition when the nice man from Fedex arrives with three huge boxes !
Luckily, I've never had to face the Spanish inquisition. I've had other expensive hobbies in the past and my wife is so understanding, that my hobbies are my space.

Luckily, I've never had to face the Spanish inquisition. I've had other expensive hobbies in the past and my wife is so understanding, that my hobbies are my space.
Part of the problem is that we are trying to move house and she sees my accumulating more stuff as more to move when we finally do go ...my comments that I'll just get a bigger van don't really sit well...

Her wish list for the next place is somewhat different to mine... I need a big shed and a small bungalow...she wants a small shed and a large bungalow....I think we will end up compromising with a large bungalow and a large shed (or two or three preferably).

Part of the problem is that we are trying to move house and she sees my accumulating more stuff as more to move when we finally do go ...my comments that I'll just get a bigger van don't really sit well...

Her wish list for the next place is somewhat different to mine... I need a big shed and a small bungalow...she wants a small shed and a large bungalow....I think we will end up compromising with a large bungalow and a large shed (or two or three preferably).
Still looking at Frome?

Still looking at Frome?
Our daughter and grandchildren are in Frome so we want to be within about 20 miles or so - but Frome itself is so expensive we have no hope of getting what we want. Dorset/Somerset borders or Wiltshire East of Frome, West of salisbury property is much cheaper so that looks likely. We've seen exactly what we are looking for in East Devon at what we can afford but its 60 miles from Frome and we are no better off ! We are thinking of getting the house on the market spring/early summer next year as by then we hope the mortgage rates will have come down a bit and make seling a bit easier. We need to be mortgage free so it won't affect us buying...

Our daughter and grandchildren are in Frome so we want to be within about 20 miles or so - but Frome itself is so expensive we have no hope of getting what we want. Dorset/Somerset borders or Wiltshire East of Frome, West of salisbury property is much cheaper so that looks likely. We've seen exactly what we are looking for in East Devon at what we can afford but its 60 miles from Frome and we are no better off ! We are thinking of getting the house on the market spring/early summer next year as by then we hope the mortgage rates will have come down a bit and make seling a bit easier. We need to be mortgage free so it won't affect us buying...
Somerset tends to be a bit less expensive than Dorset, I think. Having lived in both I prefer Somerset, which to me “feels right” as a county.
Too much Charles about Dorset.
I wish you well, but beware, this new government will have introduced lots of additional taxes to knurdle things by Spring next year!

Compromise with a small shed and a large bungalow with one of the rooms as your other bee shed. Just mention it in passing.

I moved from Aberdeenshire to Somerset as I had done my PhD near Bristol and had a dream to return in retirement. Having obtained my passport and undergone a deep and detailed interrogation by the Somerset beekeepers - why I should want to move to a Varroa area from a Varroa free area (not now), I had all my paperwork and made the move 13 years ago with no regrets. When the 15 cars and 8 horses come through the village every day I do wonder if we should move somewhere else a bit quieter but that place seems elusive. Love it here.

Dreadful place, Somerset. I don't know why anyone would want to live here. I recommend they should look elsewhere to everyone who mentions that they're thinking about moving here :D

James
It's the DFL's (Down From Londoners) that are the problem - hiking property prices in places like Frome, Bruton and Zeals to levels that make it hard for locals to buy property ... that and their propensity for Chelsea Tractors and a inability to reverse makes them a threat to the local area. Worst thing that ever happened was working from home and decent internet connections in Somerset !

A great shame, had some good stuff from them in the past but Roger & Becky are carrying on breeding queens & nucs which is great news as I've only ever had brilliant bees from them. Also bought a shedload of kit in the sale including half price Apideas.
I'm rather hoping they will cut the price of the National roofs and floors a bit ... they have over 250 roofs in stock but at £21 each they are still a bit more than I want to spend but I reckon you could make a cheap and effective hive with one of their floors and roof, but make the brood box out of 50mm Celotex.

I'm rather hoping they will cut the price of the National roofs and floors a bit ... they have over 250 roofs in stock but at £21 each they are still a bit more than I want to spend but I reckon you could make a cheap and effective hive with one of their floors and roof, but make the brood box out of 50mm Celotex.

Having got away with the Spanish Inquisition you fancy going for the full Guantanamo experience, eh?

I don't think you'd get away with 50mm Celotex all round though. You might need 40mm for the sides supporting the lugs otherwise you'd have no space around the outside of the frame bars (assuming you were using standard deep National frames). That's what I had to do with my 5-frame nuc design (see the workshop thread).

If the price of the roofs come down a bit more I would be tempted to buy a few myself. Knock a few more pounds off and it's not even worth me going through my scrap timber pile to see what I can build my own from.

James

Latest posts

Back