Paynes, closing?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMouse

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello,
I see that Paynes have announced their “last ever sale”. Are they folding? This would be a shame.

Shame they made good equipment ,on the plus side I just picked up a load of kit 1/2 price.

Ah crap, I love their butchered into 8 frame nucs and am in dire need of some more brood extensions. Anyone interested in buying the moulding off them?

Ah crap, I love their butchered into 8 frame nucs and am in dire need of some more brood extensions. Anyone interested in buying the moulding off them?
They are going to sell on the mouldings - more news in due course apparently.

"As we are stopping equipment sales, the rights to the poly hive and poly nuc moulding will be sold on so they can continue to be on the market for everyone. Details about availability will follow later"

They are going to sell on the mouldings - more news in due course apparently.

"As we are stopping equipment sales, the rights to the poly hive and poly nuc moulding will be sold on so they can continue to be on the market for everyone. Details about availability will follow later"
Thank god, I've just started changing my practise to their nucs with brood extension boxes as they're easier on my back and the bees draw comb quicker and survive winter better than any of my other configurations - what've you heard @pargyle ? Already kicking myself for not buying them out of brood nuc extensions when they had them in stock :-(

It's a bit sad ... I've always had excellent service from them and Roger is super bloke .. all my hives and nucs are from them. The whole family are nice helpful people ... but .. it's a tough business these days and they are not the first beekeeping supplies company to call it a day. I think they are going to keep the beekeeping and bees/queens side of the business going.

I wish them all well, whatever the future holds .. After100 years in business hopefully they will still have a presence in beekeeping.

Thank god, I've just started changing my practise to their nucs with brood extension boxes as they're easier on my back and the bees draw comb quicker and survive winter better than any of my other configurations - what've you heard @pargyle ? Already kicking myself for not buying them out of brood nuc extensions when they had them in stock :-(
I wonder if two eke's glued together would make a super for their nucs ?

https://paynesbeefarm.co.uk/products/poly-eke-for-poly-nuc-hive

Sold out when I went to buy at 11am today.

Unfortunately the ekes are based around changing the national BB into 14x12’s so are only 90mm deep.
2 would only be 180mm not the 225mm need for an additional brood depth.
I use them on the top of my nucs to put a rapid feeder in ... as well as to convert the std national into 14 x 12 -picked up a few in case any national nucs come up at the auction. It was too late last night to go out to the cave of despair and measure them !!

I had a look yesterday and there wasn't actually that much I'd have been interested in buying. Am I ill?

James
I picked up another 14 x 12 hive (Like I needed one !! ? ) and some supers (I never have enough), now all I have to do is face the Spanish inquisition when the nice man from Fedex arrives with three huge boxes !

Latest posts

Back