Paulownia wood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic Rhodes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
About 30 and in every shape and material but changing number daily!!
Made some equiries about some wooden components today that look different in colour and it seems that they are made from Paulownia wood. On reseaching it is is light, resistant to rot and warping and has low thermal conductivity. This wood is plentiful, cheap and quick growing. Had anyone used this in their wood hives? It sounds a very interesting wood and almost ideal!.

I lifted this from Wiki

In China, an old custom is to plant an Empress Tree when a baby girl is born. The fast-growing tree matures when she does. When she is eligible for marriage the tree is cut down and carved into wooden articles for her dowry

A beehive for a dowry?
Now there's a thought

"Don't think you get air miles when you buy it."

i meant the carbon footprint shipping it from australia or china.

better a few hydrocarbons from ******!!!

Ive got a tree in my garden, I pollard it each year which encourages it to produce massive leaves about 12" across. Next spring when I next pollard it ill send you the wood

Verdict still out on this one then with no personal experience here, must have something to it if it is now being supplied by commercial operations. I personally am using english cedar stuff nowdays.

Latest posts

Back