Pallet Wrap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Twidle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have read that some beekeepers use pallet wrap to protect stored supers from the attention of wax moth but have also read that wax moth larvae can eat their way through plastics. I suppose that the larvae would already have to be trapped within the super stack for this to be an issue. Does anyone use this material for Winter storage and, if so, what are the pros and cons? Also, could anyone recommend a particular source or brand?

I cover super stacks with wheelie bin liners, one upwards then one downwards after adding a tray with some 80% acetic acid in an empty super on top.
The whole thing is then wrapped up in pallet wrap. B&Q sell it, I think they call it stretch wrap.
The acetic acid still manages to dissipate slowly!

I have read that some beekeepers use pallet wrap to protect stored supers from the attention of wax moth but have also read that wax moth larvae can eat their way through plastics. I suppose that the larvae would already have to be trapped within the super stack for this to be an issue. Does anyone use this material for Winter storage and, if so, what are the pros and cons? Also, could anyone recommend a particular source or brand?
It's not necessary to pallet wrap ... what you need to do is treat them for wax moth (sulphur burn/Dipel) before you store them then stack them with a board on the top and bottom of the stack cinched down with a hive strap. That will keep the moths out - but, unless you treat them before storing there could be wax moth eggs already in there - which you won't be able to see - that will turn into larvae that will destroy your supers.

Latest posts

Back