Painted Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitzTaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello good people, I have a painted hive and want to change it with one of my old hives which is in need of some light repair. So the question is can i do this at any-time or will the flying bee be disorientated with the hive being a different colour.

Cheers.

KitzTaz

Last edited:
All my hives were replaced with different coloured ones this year when it came to spring clean time and I didnt have any issues as a result.

I repaint during the day.. Bees don't care.

I have seen them get confused. From white to brown.. They all landed on my leg (white suit) looking for the entrance.

Could you stand the new hive (box) on top of the old one for a couple of days so they get used to seeing and orienting on it, then swap the boxes over?

I hope your flies were secure Dishmop LoL.:sos:

I have seen them get confused. From white to brown.. They all landed on my leg (white suit) looking for the entrance.

I hope your flies were secure Dishmop LoL.
Indeed they were. Most securely.

I had a leg full of bees. Walked acoss garden and shook them off. Walked back to hive again and same thing happened. They has been used to going to a white hive. Even putting white box on top of new brown box confused them because they had been used to heading to the bottom of a white box... which was now higher up and without an entrance. I taped a bit of dark paper over the white for a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back