Paint infused bee suit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
I moved house. Lots of decorating greeted us...But not me doing it as I spend my time worrying about bees. I bought a new full cotton bee suit, lovely. One less thing to worry about.

The bee suit was in the house, not in the rooms for decorating but in the vicinity. When I come to call on them to husband, midwife and coerce them, the same lovely bees I had in the old (undecorated) house now dive bomb my new veil in my nice new much more bee friendly garden. Not many mind you, a select 10-20 of kamikazes, a few of which follow me to the house and fewer still who hang about waiting for the mother in law to creep up the back path later in the late afternoon....

I'm putting this behaviour down to the paint in the house because the bees once had a crack at my old neighbour when he attempted to creosote his fence - plus I've read some stories.

I plan to wash my new suit. Anyone know whats is a good powder or maybe some additive for the washing? Any other thoughts on this matter?

Obscure beekeeping question no 40,987,986 in a series of some trillions...

Last edited:
Occasionally moving bees to a new site can affect their temper. I had the reverse this year, a bad tempered hive in the garden was taken to an out apiary. When next inspected they behaved like lambs.

Occasionally moving bees to a new site can affect their temper. I had the reverse this year, a bad tempered hive in the garden was taken to an out apiary. When next inspected they behaved like lambs.

You probably inadvertently placed the colony on an intersection of Ley lines:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Wow new record set here, only the third post into a thread before Hoppy takes it :offtopic: with more of his carp.

(stands confused in his suit, puzzled, hands out as though the Redeemer, bees still dive bombing him)

In my view, this post and several earlier posts addressed to one specific member of this forum amount to bullying.

CVB

Pointing out the bleeding obvious is bullying?
Get real.
Hoppy is a forum troll, most of his posts are designed to be inflammatory to other posters.
They invariably drag decent debates off topic into inane dribblings...but third post in.... this was a new record even for him.
Hmmmmmm.... are you his doppleganger per chance? Are you the one Erichalfbee has spotted but won't name and shame?

Another obvious one but if mine are Q- they are v.grumpy

In my view, this post and several earlier posts addressed to one specific member of this forum amount to bullying.

CVB

Who fired first, or who always fires first are questions which might be asked and which if answered truthfully would show a different picture. This multiple identity does indeed create uncertainty, at whom is one shooting!

Can i ask the general consensus on oil seed rape? There isnt any near me and i think thats a good thing but do people actively go looking for it or get paid for bringing bees to it

You probably inadvertently placed the colony on an intersection of Ley lines:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

It does make a difference ... get the dowsing rods out (let's not get into the debate about what these anomalies in the earth's force fields are called) and you might be surprised...

Cost to check for yourself ? Two wire coat hangers and a slight possible temporary loss of scepticism ...

DON'T KNOCK IT TILL YOU'VE TRIED IT !

DON'T KNOCK IT TILL YOU'VE TRIED IT !

Oh dear..... here we go again. The superstitious, the fictitious and the flat earth society all rolled into one personna :ohthedrama:
Believe me Parglye some of us HAVE tried it and found it wanting.
But if it works for you then I'm happy for you..
Remind me of your average honey yield per hive.
Ohhh silly me.... of course you are not interested in honey yields.

Back to OP.......
The smell of paints, polishes, etc can affect behaviour. I once cleaned the inside of the car with lemon scented cleaner - ouch!
Just wash the suit well with hot water and ordinary washing powder. Leave out on washing line for a couple of days. Don't use fabric conditioner (you will attract attention) and not bleach (it will rot the cotton).

cheers CD!

Been investigating elsewhere (less political than this thread). The nice folks at East Surrey Bees told me the story of a vicious hive situated on one of their remote sites that had the all of the foragers only interested in attacking....they literally had to gaffer tape wellies and gloves to get anywhere near...never seen anything like it.....

So they braved it, sealed the hive and moved it back to their base where the hive because so placid they wondered if they should order 60,000 margueritas...

They were intrigued and being the curious beeks they are investigated: Turns out there was a car panel beaters about 30 meters away who were testing a new paint which had a constituent in it, a molecule structure or two away from alarm pheromone....Move the bees and they were back to normal....

Pointing out the bleeding obvious is bullying?
Get real.
Hoppy is a forum troll, most of his posts are designed to be inflammatory to other posters.
They invariably drag decent debates off topic into inane dribblings...but third post in.... this was a new record even for him.
Hmmmmmm.... are you his doppleganger per chance? Are you the one Erichalfbee has spotted but won't name and shame?

There was nothing inflammatory about the post. It was an attempt at humour. Your post, and the above follow up, like so many of your posts on other threads, were shameless attempts to start a fight.

It’s a shame you feel so threatened by others that you have to keep doing it, as sometimes you have something worthwhile to say.

There was nothing inflammatory about the post. It was an attempt at humour.

Rubbish.
It wasn't even the remotest attempt at humour..cannot see anything in it to indicate the author was having a giggle.
It simply accused me of bullying Hoppy (in bold type). As Quis pointed out CVB should look through previous threads and see where the original trolling starts before accusing others.
Sorry, but I reserve the right to reply in kind to such inflammatory posts about myself.
Including yours...which if you think about it... if you hadn't bothered to feel that you had to "have a dig" at me I wouldn't be writing this reply now.... would I?
And the thread would have stayed on course.

CVB

Last edited:
Rubbish.
It wasn't even the remotest attempt at humour..cannot see anything in it to indicate the author was having a giggle.
It simply accused me of bullying Hoppy (in bold type). As Quis pointed out CVB should look through previous threads and see where the original trolling starts before accusing others.
Sorry, but I reserve the right to reply in kind to such inflammatory posts about myself.
Including yours...which if you think about it... if you hadn't bothered to feel that you had to "have a dig" at me I wouldn't be writing this reply now.... would I?
And the thread would have stayed on course.

Have you been on the OSR?

Latest posts

Back