grumpy bees following split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi

My single colony started producing queen cells as soon as i moved it into my back garden last week. I performed a nuc method split - taking the queen, some brood, food and some bees into the nuc and leaving queen cells in the original hive to produce a new one.

That was 4 days ago.

Unfortunately the bees from the now queenless hve are dive bombing the neighbours - and behaving in quite a fractious way. They are also crowding round the entrance a bit.

Has anyone had experience like this? Will they calm down once a new queen emerges? and is there anything that can be done in the meantime about their grumpiness?

Thanks

It rather depends on what the Virgin queen gets mated with in terms of ongoing genetics...you can never tell with open mated queens...even when they come from good stock if the drones in your area are ratty stock ...her progeny could be. Invest in a decent queen and be sure...£40 well spent usually.

It rather depends on what the Virgin queen gets mated with in terms of ongoing genetics...you can never tell with open mated queens...even when they come from good stock if the drones in your area are ratty stock ...her progeny could be. Invest in a decent queen and be sure...£40 well spent usually.
I've moved to North Somerset now - reckon the genetics are any better down here?

You are just going to have to hope for the best until you get a mated queen. There is nothing worse than upsetting your neighbours and your garden will soon become a no go area. I feel for you. Most of us have been there. How close to being sealed were the cells? If you get a virgin in there it will be difficult to introduce a bought queen.

You are just going to have to hope for the best until you get a mated queen. There is nothing worse than upsetting your neighbours and your garden will soon become a no go area. I feel for you. Most of us have been there. How close to being sealed were the cells? If you get a virgin in there it will be difficult to introduce a bought queen.
There are a couple of QCs - which should be sealed by Tuesday - so I guess 8 days after that she emerges and 5 days to get mated? Roughly?

Hello, i understand how a queen is usually mated. How is a bought queen mated?

Hello, i understand how a queen is usually mated. How is a bought queen mated?
Either by instrumental insemination or naturally 'open' mated, queen rearers usually use mini mating hives (various shapes and sizes) and when the queen is proven to have been mated is caged and sent to the buyer

There are a couple of QCs - which should be sealed by Tuesday - so I guess 8 days after that she emerges and 5 days to get mated? Roughly?
If you’re lucky. Depends on the weather. The queen has a three week window but don’t expect her to be laying straight away

As a ball park it’s a couple of weeks for her to get mated and then to start laying. This is rarely much shorter and if coinciding with a period of poor weather can be delayed.

Latest posts

Back