ozone sterilization

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can ozone be used to sterilize bee equipment,expense,method etc

As in O3? Isn't that supposed to be impossible to store?

Can ozone be used to sterilize bee equipment,expense,method etc

Yes. An ozone generator in a confined space such as a large plastic sack or storage box can give high levels of O3 for effective disinfection.
You need a high voltage source, circa 20-30KV and there are various circuits and projects online. Mine is based on an old car ignition coil. Expense depends on your electronics ability and availability of suitable scrap versus new parts.
The actual generator can be spaced meshes or a coil around a glass bottle or jar. PM me if you want to proceed and need extra guidance.

Yes. An ozone generator in a confined space such as a large plastic sack or storage box can give high levels of O3 for effective disinfection.
You need a high voltage source, circa 20-30KV and there are various circuits and projects online. Mine is based on an old car ignition coil. Expense depends on your electronics ability and availability of suitable scrap versus new parts.
The actual generator can be spaced meshes or a coil around a glass bottle or jar. PM me if you want to proceed and need extra guidance.
I'm going to get the 'this sounds like blue sky thinking' joke out the way. Sorry.

I had a quick Google and there appears to be spay bottles that generate O3, used for surface cleaning. I had no idea they existed.

I, like you, would be very interested to hear if anyone else has tried it. Could be an effective poly hive steriliser.

saw a post online from usa about a beekeeper who had used it with good results no idea how to produce it just seeking info

In polyboxis it is important to loose the dirt, like mold, resins and poo. Plastic surface a a thin dirt kayer, which grow the mold.

Ozone does not loose the dirt. If you spray some bathroom chemical, it kills.... what ever it then it is. The main gang of "it" is however in combs.

Great stuff and no toxic residue; I've used it for air conditioner and water disinfection, but beware that it is very corrosive, toxic to people and the very high voltages are a problem in damp areas.

In polyboxis it is important to loose the dirt, like mold, resins and poo. Plastic surface a a thin dirt kayer, which grow the mold.

Ozone does not loose the dirt. If you spray some bathroom chemical, it kills.... what ever it then it is. The main gang of "it" is however in combs.

alas he is right.
The biggest surface area of stuff you will swap in and out of a hive is the comb.
Gas sterilisation of empty comb is going to be patchy at best unless you evacuate the chamber its in first.

alas he is right.
The biggest surface area of stuff you will swap in and out of a hive is the comb.
Gas sterilisation of empty comb is going to be patchy at best unless you evacuate the chamber its in first.
But we all (should) disinfect beekeeping equipment when it isn't in use. I'm talking empty boxes, feeders, etc. Wooden hives are easy - scrape and torch. Poly hives require a little more effort. Yes, I agree you would still have to scrape off any dirt/wax/propolis first, but something other than bleach bath? Ozone sounds promising to me.

alas he is right.

That would be true for a liquid, but O3 gas will circulate and permeate right into cells and crevices. This is why it is used to sterilise whole hospital rooms and their contents as well as smaller things such as surgical instruments with their nooks and crannies.

If you're having to use something like purple Cilit Bang to loosen the gunk anyway what's the point of sterilising twice?

That would be true for a liquid, but O3 gas will circulate and permeate right into cells and crevices. This is why it is used to sterilise whole hospital rooms and their contents as well as smaller things such as surgical instruments with their nooks and crannies.

Very little air movement between the surface and the bottom of cells. That's what makes it a good insulator

Ozone Generation

I have an ozone generator. I used it for steralising stuff when I used to grow mushrooms. It is simple to use. Plug it in and the put the delivery pipe into any enclosed space with what you want steralising. It is highly oxdative so do not breath it. It is lethal to micro-organisms (and not all that great for humans). However - it has a pretty short half-life and decays away fairly quickly. You can buy them on E Bay for about £20.

If you're having to use something like purple Cilit Bang to loosen the gunk anyway what's the point of sterilising twice?
Who's doing that? Carefully scraping clean and submerging in diluted bleach is the recommended way to clean poly hives. I don't like bleach and O3 sounds like a possible alternative.

There are articles and papers online concerning the use of ozone to eliminate wax moth, chalkbrood, and remove insecticide buildup from comb.

US dept of Agriculture article here https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2014/disinfecting-honey-comb-with-ozone/

Research paper here https://reeis.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/0415067-field-testing-ozone-as-a-fumigant-for-honey-bee-comb.html

and here http://www.todayscience.org/AS/v1-1/AS.2291-4471.2013.0101001.pdf

Now that seems much more useful. Seems to beat acetic acid

Latest posts

Back