Oxalic acid treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you used an Oxalic acid treatment this winter?

• Yes already done

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • No but I plan to

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Not going to treat

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
Well thats a relief then, I did my first ever OA treatment last week and after reading up on it was expecting something dramatic.
I was concerned therefore that i had done it wrong when my mite drop was relativly low around 25-30.
As it followed an autumn treatment and my numbers seem to be in line with whats on here I guess I havent anything to worry about after all.

David

'
Varroa duplicate itself about in one month

If mites are in Marsh 20 , in September they will be 1300

20 …. 40 …. 80 …. 160 …. 320 …. 640 …. 1280
Marsch April May June July August September

5 …. 10 …. 20 …. 40 …. 80 …. 160 …. 320
Marsch April May June July August September

100 …. 200 …. 400 …. 800 …. 1600 …. 3200 …. 6400
Marsch April …. May …. June …. July …. August …. September

Last edited:

how much is much

It is not sure if you make a good cure in autumn and if you get 5 mites away with oxalic acid, it will be worth of work.
In autumn those 5 mites will be 300.

If efficacy is 98% how many mites you have then

3200 …> 64
640 …> 13
160 …> 3

Last edited:
As Ian said Apiguard in autumn is to protect your winter bees and oxalic is for your spring build up. I firmly believe that between spring and autumn you have to keep up the attack with Icing sugar dusting and drone brood culling.
I don't cull all drone brood - I put a super frame into the brood chamber at the edge of the brood nest and the bees usuallyadd drone comb below this can be checked and if less than 10% are infected it can be left to emerge. I said "usually" cos last year the little darlings built worker cells:hat:

I will now sit back and wait for at least half a dozen pros and cons:cheers2:

Mike

I said "usually" cos last year the little darlings built worker cells:hat:

The use of a 'building frame has been used for years in Germany:).as an indicator of when the swarming impulse has subsided!. As you have noticed , the bees cease building drone cells and start building worker cells :).

John

Thanks for that John, another gem of information to store away. From memory I think it was the 3rd or 4th cycle that changed from drone to worker. I,ll be looking out for it this season
Regards Mike

Yes, I forget the name of the German hive, but the frames were on racks, the rear wall was removable, with glass window,the frames were removed from the rear rather than above:), the rearmost frame was foundationless and used as a indicator of the colony mind set :hat:.
I think the hive name began with a Z but old age has robbed me of many many grey cells :confused:.
John

Hi All

Intresting poll results. Of the ~30% of people that have not yet treated have you now treated?

or does this % become the 1 in 3 of winter losses, because you never get round to it?

Jim

I will be treating either Tuesday or Wednesday this week.
I have followed Wally Shaw's method of mixture and that is 3.2% oxalic acid in a 1:1 sugar solution.

Regards;

Latest posts

Back