Overwintered nuc into hive then split for a new nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzie-drippin

New Bee
Reaction score
May be an odd question but for overwintered nucs, is it best to expand them into colonies and then split back off a queenless nuc....rather than removing the queen from the overwintered nuc and using it for queen rearing directly?

Well if it’s a nuc your really shouldn’t be using it for queen rearing wait till there filling a coupling brood boxes buy a queen in and introduce her to a nuc of young bees you’ve made from the original.

Not sure I understand.

Our overwintered nucs our basically our queen rearing nucs from last season. We requeened them to overwinter. Just wondering whether we should let them expand into colonies and split off new queen rearing nucs.

Not sure I understand.

Our overwintered nucs our basically our queen rearing nucs from last season. We requeened them to overwinter. Just wondering whether we should let them expand into colonies and split off new queen rearing nucs.
I’m not sure what you mean by queen rearing nuc. Are you letting nucs raise cells? And surely you have to let any colony expand before you do anything!

Not sure I understand.

Yes, you want lots of nurse bees to raise good queens. I'm assuming you want to split away some nucs to receive cells? In which case you want full, vigourous colonies to donate the brood.

Latest posts

Back