Winter nuc into a full hive- when?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Tip Top

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I have overwintered a 5 frame nuc (with queen). I now want to ‘convert’ them and put them (with extra frames) into a National hive. Shall I wait until May, or do this ( weather dependent) in April please? I am based in North England.
Thank you.

If the nuc is looking full with lots of bees on 5 or 6 frames then all you need to do is wait for the next warm day. If you wait until May, they'll get congested and want to swarm. You can dummy down the new hive and give them more space as they fill the box.

The outer frames will likely be full of stores. When you transfer to a new hive, put frames of foundation between those and the brood frames to give space.

Hi, I have overwintered a 5 frame nuc (with queen). I now want to ‘convert’ them and put them (with extra frames) into a National hive. Shall I wait until May, or do this ( weather dependent) in April please? I am based in North England.
Thank you.
Nothing to do with dates or months….. inspect the hive and judge if they are filling the nuc they will need moving if they aren’t occupying the outside frames they won’t.
When they require the extra space will vary on your bees the weather and your location. This will also alter year to year!
I can’t empathise enough beekeeping is nothing to do with dates on a calendar and you and they will respond to the weather/environment!!

I would be looking to hive them when they have three good frames of brood and have made a good start laying up the 4th one.

I am just to the North of you.

Forget dates it's all about knowing the strength of the colony, and the only way to know that is to know the number and size of the frames of brood in there. Anything else is guess work.

PH

Latest posts

Back