Other hobbies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshcowin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all thought I’d make a post seeing what others do in their spare time apart from beekeeping and see what others have in common? Personally I play paintball competitively and snowboard in the winter a completely different end of the scale from being a beek.

Never have the time for other hobbies these days.bees all season and making equipment through winter

Racing classic yachts and some more modern offshores, 1 more race of this season then it's out to Antigua next year for race week.

Never have the time for other hobbies these days.bees all season and making equipment through winter

I agree it does take over this hobby, I still find time to give music lessons just about , guitar, piano and brass..

I snowboard if there's any snow lol Wood work is another hobby that beekeeping has taken over (boxes frames so on) I enjoy fishing too but at present we can't keep bass! In the summer I sail and kayak, fishing on the kayak is great fun.

When you could keep bass we used to do a lot of fishing off the needles. Had some really decent fish off those ridges fishing with live bait.
We could see the problem developing as many wouldn't return any fish they caught so the population tumbled and the fishing declined.

We could see the problem developing as many wouldn't return any fish they caught so the population tumbled and the fishing declined.

Nothing to do with the coastal fishing fleet hammering the stocks then?

Don't do much sea fishing now, when I did it was mainly bass off the beaches with the occasional day drifting with sandeels off Swansea and the Helwick during the summer and flounder fishing in the Tywi estuary in winter.
Mostly I fished for brown trout and sewin on local rivers but that has been severely curtailed the last few years. I've got a bit bored with stillwater fishing.
A bit of shooting (both rough and target)
Still maintaining/renovating our 18th century chapel and taking the early Christmas day service there (a few months work in preparation)
Mostly though, the bees take my time here and in Africa.

Hi all thought I’d make a post seeing what others do in their spare time apart from beekeeping and see what others have in common? Personally I play paintball competitively and snowboard in the winter a completely different end of the scale from being a beek.

Between bees, a grandads duties and Icelandic Horses http://ihsgb.co.uk/news-events/ I don't have a lot of spare time 😎

Nothing to do with the coastal fishing fleet hammering the stocks then?

Not in this case, as the areas we fished where untrawalable. Large rocky outcrops and reefs, difficult to fish with rod and line never mind a net.
No, it was too many fishermen fishing for too small a population of adult Bass.

Not in this case, as the areas we fished where untrawalable. Large rocky outcrops and reefs, difficult to fish with rod and line never mind a net.
No, it was too many fishermen fishing for too small a population of adult Bass.

But bass move around - I agree that even rod fishermen have been too greedy with bass - no more so than in the Swansea bay area, but the real issue is trawlers,especially the pairers, and the coastal shore netters - for the government to put the blame on declining fish stocks on leisure anglers is just a nonsense.

When you could keep bass we used to do a lot of fishing off the needles. Had some really decent fish off those ridges fishing with live bait.

You should make a trip to the menai straits. Great sailing and kayaking and you get to keep the plentiful bass(sand eel rules as a bait)

You should make a trip to the menai straits. Great sailing and kayaking and you get to keep the plentiful bass(sand eel rules as a bait)

Straits are great for bass.

Ban is being lifted on 1st Oct. 1 bass per angler per day. 42cm min size!

Not much time for anything other than bees, I work a four day week and have 97 hives into the winter plus a few nuc's, most spare winter time is prepping for next season but recently gone back to my roots and started indoor climbing, I have psoriatic arthritis and find the exercise really helps keep the joints mobile. Also done a lot of sea fishing, mainly around Anglesey and two trips a year down to Looe for the wrecks and awesome conger/ling fishing.

Back