OSR honey - no csbinet - ideas?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still don't fully understand why you want to liquefy osr honey???

Because I make my soft set by a different protocol to the one you are using. I find it comes out smoother than when I make soft set from partially melted OSR honey.

Because I make my soft set by a different protocol to the one you are using. I find it comes out smoother than when I make soft set from partially melted OSR honey.

So whats your protocol Beefriendly? Mine is as I describe above...ie
(I warm mine to 35/40c to liquidfy then add the seed (existing soft set at ratio 10/1 - 10%) and then cool to less than 14c for a few days. Reheat to 35c not to destroy the fine granulation and jar. Job done, perfect soft set honey that stays soft set, just like soft butter!)

I use the following link as a guide...
https://www.theapiarist.org/making-soft-set-honey/

Not sure why in No 1 it says 'Extracted honey should be left to completely crystallise in honey buckets. This might take several weeks.' I heat mine to 35/40c soon after extraction and it works. I suppose you could 'seed' the honey immediately after extraction so long as its below 35c, you don't want to destroy the fine grain granulation in the soft set honey seed.
Am interested in how others do it?

I leave to set hard then warm to 35 whizz no need to seed... Smooth as a babies...some would say you are warming beyond hive conditions and therefore its an altered product.... Not raw au naturel

Last edited:
So whats your protocol Beefriendly? Mine is as I describe above...ie

Very similar to yours, only I have a machine which churns it for 15 minutes every hour. I have no cooling system so usually takes a few days to be the "right colour".
I also do soft set from non OSR honey so need to have a consistent method.
14C is the optimal temp for crystallisation, but you don't have to stick to that. I find the friction generated by the churning keeps mine around 20C and it sets fine. Even smoother than a baby's bottom :)

I leave to set hard then warm to 35 whizz

The devil is the detail...whizz? What with, how long etc. Do you get a froth...?
I found that the Thornes hand creamer (looks like a giant potato masher)_ did a pretty fair job on partially melted OSR honey.

I leave to set hard then warm to 35 whizz no need to seed... Smooth as a babies...some would say you are warming beyond hive conditions and therefore its an altered product.... Not raw au naturel

Hum...think I will do one jar your way, then seed the rest & keep one jar my way and compare in a year!
Have to wonder why people 'seed' if your way is just as good.
Back in touch in a year!!

OSR honey is rarely just OSR. It will vary from year to year. I used to not use seed honey, just agitate the OSR etc, but found that some years the crystal size was unacceptable. So, for consistency I always use seed honey now.

Alot of people seed because they don't have osr Etton... Or they want creamed from summer honey... Pure osr doesn't need a seed.... Saying that I think this year there's more hawthorn etc in the mix

Alot of people seed because they don't have osr Etton... Or they want creamed from summer honey... Pure osr doesn't need a seed.... Saying that I think this year there's more hawthorn etc in the mix
‘Pure oil seed rape doesn’t need a seed...’ surely it does! Otherwise it could set rock hard in the jars?

The way I was taught involves kit most don't have but the theory is proven.

Extract and warm to go through the strainer and let the clean honey set as it wills.

Down the line as required warm the honey to 35-37C and add to the tank. Add the seed. Pump for 24 hours and then bucket it. It is now creamed and ready to bottle.

PH

Latest posts

Back