OSR honey - no csbinet - ideas?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I’ve extracted just under 20kg of very gloopy honey, presumably involving a lot of OSR. It is so thick and starting to granulate that it was clogging the fine filter.

I don’t have a warming cabinet - are there any safe ways to warm to buckets without one? The small ones would fit in the oven and could be set to 50 degrees, but it feels a bit dodgy.

The small ones would fit in the oven and could be set to 50 degrees, but it feels a bit dodgy.

Why dodgy? It will work fine if you can set 50C on oven. No difference to setting 50C in a warming cabinet. If fan oven better than un-fanned warming cabinet.

Why dodgy? It will work fine if you can set 50C on oven. No difference to setting 50C in a warming cabinet. If fan oven better than un-fanned warming cabinet.

I am sure my oven is very accurate. I use it for wax melting all the time.

I have tended to use a slightly lower temp with the fan. Not sure if that’s just a knock on from cooking though.

Big question is “How long can you have the oven for?” [emoji44]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big question is “How long can you have the oven for?” [emoji44]

We’ve got a range type thing with 2 ovens, so I can probably pinch it for a good while. Particularly if I suggest the alternative will cost £300!

If you want to use your oven but with a lower temperature, just use the oven light.
I warmed some honey in my oven last year set at 30 degrees, but found it was gradually getting hotter. After some trial and error I actually found that if I put the oven light on but had the oven itself switched off, the internal temperature still reached 35 degrees after a few hours. I left the honey in there for about 24 hours and it warmed it perfectly.

I’ve extracted just under 20kg of very gloopy honey, presumably involving a lot of OSR. It is so thick and starting to granulate that it was clogging the fine filter.

I don’t have a warming cabinet - are there any safe ways to warm to buckets without one? The small ones would fit in the oven and could be set to 50 degrees, but it feels a bit dodgy.

I made this last year..once you get your head around wiring the st1000 it is really easy to achieve..just try to pass through the drivel if you have a read..page 6 has the finished warming cabinet.

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42358&highlight=warming+cabinet

A warming cabinet is easy to make and you will use it year after year so why faff about?

PH

50c is way too high 35c max
Make urself a warming fridge as above

Mine will only re- liquefy at 45-50. I start at 45 and on occasion have to go up to 50. BBKA say 50 is safe for 24-48 hours. I keep the time as short as possible, stirring often in my warming cabinet ( old fridge) with fan and accurate thermostat.

By liquifying the OSR the crystals are removed.

One is then able to add the desired crystal type and by agitation create creamed honey which will then stay at the condition indefinitely. Customers love it.

PH

Latest posts

Back