OSR and Cut Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've sold a small amount of cut comb ivy honey at a show once but the market for it is pretty limited. The honey came out of the comb as little hexagonal prisms of sugar with a taste a bit like cough sweets.

I think there will always be a few who will eat more or less anything (e.g. honey with added pollen) but most customers' expectations will be for runny honey in comb.

Try it is all I can suggest but I would be very sure to mark the outside of the containers with a clear description of the contents. If at a show you could have some out on a saucer for people to try before (hopefully) buying.

Pure OSR honey tastes me like a cane sugar. It has not much alone aroma.
It gives a good "fat" aroma to multiflower honey.

Like Finman said...I find that when I spin OSR it has an unpleasant slightly pungent (?) smell. This seems to disappear over time but not sure I would want to enjoy honeycomb with that aroma.

Sam

All I can say people is offer people a taste and it sells.

I sold two this morning after they had it on their toast and saw my honey for sale sign, another £9-50 gained. :)

PH

WOW - congratuations ... 9.50 for cut comb.
I was going to try some this year with the Thornes segments in a few frames. The only weakness is their packaging is ugly...
Perhaps I could cut their sections in half and place these in a jar directly.
Sam

Latest posts

Back