Organising to Wear a Suit of Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you've managed to rattle the cages.

Personally I think it's a crass idea and totally irresponsible...

...and that comes from one who knows.

Chris

1) They're not firing blanks.

2) Once one of them pulls the trigger, there's no-one in command to shout "Oi, you 'orrible little lot - CEASE FIRE"

love the analogy!

I don't believe anyone in their right mind would give you the advice on how to do this on the forum.
If you were to do it, you would need a huge amount of insurance. (and possibly an applicant to the stuntmen guild)

Alternatively, go abroard to a place where you\they cannot be sued.

I have jumped out of a plane a few times. You have a safety net (your reserve).Not really on equal par.
At what point does the body go into shock after a sting?? 1 sting, 10 stings, 100 stings? and how do you 'test' yourself for it?

I have been stung 27 times in one go. (and i was wearing a suit! (with a hole!)). Another chap on this forum ended up in hospital after being stung and had to give up beekeeping.

Your cause is honourable, but unless you are a keeper and know your bees extremely well, you should not think about doing it.
I have some extremely tame bees, but still need to remember, they are all women and therefore still wild and unpredictable. ;)

IMHO it's a stunt that belongs in the history books and, possibly, at association meetings (if it's that sort of association) where everyone understands the risks. The chances of something going wrong may be small, but the potential consequences are far too high in this modern, politically correct and highly litigious world.

I've seen grown men flapping about and running away from a curious bumble bee.

Imagine poor little Herbert getting checked out by a curious honey bee (which doesn't look as cute and friendly as a bumble bee). Poor little Herbert turns out to be of a nervous disposition - and swats the bee...

Last edited:
Not sure if wasps are safer (can you get anaphactic shock from wasps?). You could try stripping naked and cover yourself with jam on a hot day...

Last edited:
Thanks Chris

The intention was never to rattle cages, it was always to start a conversation exactly like this one. Some very experienced keepers have thrown some very valid and well made opinions and concerns into the boiling pot and this advice will go a long way to helping me decide on wether or not it should be done.

My intention was always to become a beekeeper anyway and i wouldnt dream of doing something like this without first becoming an experienced keeper and "Knowing" my bees (if thats ever possible with a wild animal). The best way to limit the risk is always through knowledge and experience and this is the way I will go. i appreciate your opinions that it is crass and irresponsible and you have every right to your opinions and I would never presume to tell you they were wrong.

Thanks again for your opinion.

Thanks Chris

The intention was never to rattle cages, it was always to start a conversation exactly like this one. Some very experienced keepers have thrown some very valid and well made opinions and concerns into the boiling pot and this advice will go a long way to helping me decide on wether or not it should be done.

My intention was always to become a beekeeper anyway and i wouldnt dream of doing something like this without first becoming an experienced keeper and "Knowing" my bees (if thats ever possible with a wild animal). The best way to limit the risk is always through knowledge and experience and this is the way I will go. i appreciate your opinions that it is crass and irresponsible and you have every right to your opinions and I would never presume to tell you they were wrong.

Thanks again for your opinion.

You say you want to become an 'experienced beekeeper' before you try this stupid stunt. How do you, as someone who has zero experience of bees, define 'experienced'? One week? one month? one year? ten years? You also state, correctly, that bees are wild animals. They are. I know at least one beekeeper of 20 plus years experience (so presumably he 'knew' bees) who was hospitalised with 87 stings because he made a mistake. I have personally been 15 minutes from death with anaphalaxys (not bee stings but penicillin) so I know how that feels. Irresponsible doesn't even begin to describe it. It's something that only a moron would attempt. If you want to raise money for charity (and god bless you for that) do a sponsored walk. You will be doing the cause of bees and beekeepers no good at all, merely making us a laughing stock.

This is a copy of some imformation that may help. If you get a few stings you can easily scrape them off,and the worst that could happen is you die,but your going to die sooner or later anyway.

Philip McCabe's World Record Bee Beard Attempt 2005 (How it Was Done)

A description of the planning and behind the scenes activity as well as the 'on the day' execution of Philip McCabe's world record bee beard attempt of 25th June 2005. The pictures are on a separate page.

It was not until the 11th of April 2005 that I became involved in this project, until then I had merely heard rumours, but I was approached by Micheál and his Email went something like this...

last year I agreed that I and GBBG would provide the bees for the noble beard. I hope to select a team of experienced and reliable beekeepers from the members of GBBG, at this stage I know little about the mechanics of the bee beard process, there are many questions that spring to mind and you may be able to help find the answers. So perhaps you may accept the position of researcher as well as advisor to the project. You might also like to put a new page in your website covering the subject.

Some of the questions that were posed, became headings for various topics that needed to be looked at in more detail. I spent the next few days gathering information and reading every document about bee beards on the internet and various others were looking into other aspects. The list below has been simplified and condensed from hundreds of Emails and other documents, so it may seem a little jumbled, but that is the nature of sorting out a project like this.

How should we prepare the man ?

Philip reckoned that he should be smeared with honey to attract the bees. If 500,000 bees were to be achieved, the weight would be considerable so a back bracing belt was considered. A face mask and swimming goggles were proposed as well as cotton wool in ears and navel with sticking plaster to keep them in place, boxer shorts elasticated top and bottom would stop ingress of bees. To monitor the weight he would be standing on precision calibrated scales. Should queens or virgins be used or just queen pheromone lures? Would the synthetic queen pheromone which we use in locating drone congregations help? Should we use some fine water spray or mister to calm the bees and make them cling and cluster? In the actual event swarm lures and queen bee pheromone, which were sponsored by Thorne's, were fixed under Philip's chin. Some other pheromone of French origin was tried, but it acted as more of deterrent than an attractant and caused the bare patches that show up in the photographs.

Should we have a trial run ?

It was thought that we should have a trial run in advance of the big day using bees from two or three colonies, so as to check our method. I the end this did not happen, mainly due to poor weather and resulting slow development of colonies. As Philip is keen to have another go at the record, then this attempt may be considered as a trial run for the next time.

How about preparing the bees ?

The bees obviously have to be in the right 'frame of mind' so that they cluster without much flying so some separation of old and young bees would be required. Some type of shook swarm with perhaps the younger bees from two or three colonies packed into polystyrene hives in advance at a distant location to be placed them in a cellar overnight and brought to the site on the morning of the event.

How many colonies would we need to take bees from ?

Micheál thought that he could provide them from some of his own resources as well as from the Dún Aonghusa breeding apiary. He had at this stage earmarked between fifteen and twenty colonies from the most docile strain of the past two years and was hoping that he could produce sufficient bees from those to provide a respectable beard. Even if no records are broken, if we had the equivalent of four or five good sized swarms hanging on him it should create a sensational enough spectacle to satisfy the curiosity of the television viewers and there would be a lot of money raised for Bóthar and Bees for Development. Philip would gain the necessary publicity for Apimondia and hopefully GBBG will have proved that such a project can be achieved with our native dark bees as well as the other races which are reputed to be more docile. Provision of bees would not be helped by the late spring due to cold east winds which had prevailed for some weeks, resulting in slow build up of the colonies.

What rules would be made by the Guinness records people ?

Verification of the weight, before and after gives the weight of bees and the measurements were recorded by Dr Mary Coffey of Teagasc (The Irish Agriculture and Food Development Authority).

Loading the bees onto his body

Several options were considered...

You could have ten hives, each containing the young bees from three colonies, arranged in a tight semicircle and with Philip standing on the scales in the centre. The bees would be shaken on to him from each hive in turn.

The final choice was a purpose made ramp or chute made of polystyrene sheets and covered with a white bed sheet. It was mounted on a 'workmate' bench and the end of the chute was carved out to fit exactly the curvature of Philip's waist. The bees could be tipped into this tray like chute and they would walk up on to Philip's body.

Removing the bees afterwards

Micheál thought...
We should treat the bees as humanely as possible.
The bees should be conserved as they can be used again to populate stocks of bees. They may be mostly young bees and would be well suited to the heather. Even for drawing foundation if they were given a feed . I think the bees could easily be peeled off with a back of a long knife or other such implement and carried away in ventilated boxes to be subsequently hived as swarms and given a queen each. One brood chamber could be left on the site to collect any bees on the ground or flying bees which might have orientated to the site.

The Scales

Were provided by Avery Berkel Ltd. Paul Fallon, the contracts and hire manager, organised the delivery and calibration/set-up of a weighing machine type: HL122, Serial Number: EQ300703, capacity: 300kg, with increment (division size): 100g. The equipment being complete with an ISO9001 National Standards Definitive Calibration Certificate.

Further information will be added to this page as it can be collated and verified from various different sources.

Many thanks to those that helped in any way towards this event, there are too many to mention individually, but you all know who you are.

http://www.gbbg.net/recordattempthow.html

Last edited:
^ Fascinating post.

I am new here but would like to chime in.

I think your cause is a noble one, and I think your heart is in the right place.

But I also think it is wrong to assume that should something go wrong, it would be shrugged off and have no effect on the publics perception of bees. Even if it caused one person in the crowd to grab a can of spray pesticide to use on honeybees in their garden, would it be worth the risk?

Another minor point, you would actually need at least two stings to know if you would be in danger from an allergic reaction. And even if you were without reaction, there is nothing to say that if you were to be stung more times at the event, you would not be in a life threatening situation.

Another thought of mine is that this bee beard is fascinating but it does strike me as a bit exploitive, gives me the same prickling feeling as horses made to bow or seals balancing a ball.

Should you decide to carry on, I would suggest you have a professional undertake this project. I know someone who has done this professionally for film work (in the distant past) and has the skill and experience to do it with her own hives and with the bees well-being first and foremost. An experienced beekeeper/entomologist, she was able to do it safely and efficiently with little trauma to the bees, herself, or onlookers.

Perhaps you could find someone like that who would be willing and able to make this happen without a hitch, and you could experience it secondarily, in an assistant capacity?

Lastly, I love the suggestion of a walk as a fundraiser.:)
Perhaps it could have a bee/pollinator theme and you could get the support of garden centers, and even set up observation hives at the ending site, and an educational table staffed by beekeepers or students. Maybe with vendors selling honey and products of the hive with portions of the proceeds going to your cause? A honey and mead tasting, sales of baked goods featuring honey, and so on. Face painting, adorable t-shirts, the possibilities are endless. And no stings or bees harmed. Just some thoughts.

Good luck. I am happy your family is healthy.

The second is that I am trying to arrange to wear a Mantle of bees to raise money for cancer research. Cancer is a subject very close to my heart, having had a father with Lung Cancer and a sister with breast cancer (Both survivors fortunately). To be honest, I have hit a bit of a brick wall. I have emailed my local Association without success (I will try again though) and I am waiting to hear back from the BBKA but just though I would post on a few forums and see if anyone out there could offer me some advice as to someone or an organisation that could arrange this for me.

Exploiting animals like this is the preserve of stupid people. Pulling stunts like this kind of went out of fashion about 50 years ago. What next, a sponsored badger-bait?

The cause is a noble one, but the stunt is misguided.

Before you go any further, I would check to see if the RSPCA has a policy on something like this. It would be pointless to get all the information together to only find you would face prosecution of you went ahead with it.

Anyway, for my money, I'd turn the telly off, as it only provides the media an opportunity for sensationalist reporting and making a half arsed attempt at 'educating' it's audiences.

Pulling stunts like this kind of went out of fashion about 50 years ago.

Looking at all the you tube vidios, this does not appear to be the case.

And if the OP were to do this in a country where they have Africanised bees they would attach to him much more easily....none of the pheromone/caged queen needed.

Last edited:
It's very surprising that there are no 'Bee Beard Goes Wrong' videos, and nothing on the WWW that I could find with a quick Google search.

Here's a message to the OP - I'll donate £50 to the charity of your choice of you promise NOT to do it.

tkwinston4 - What Spiders do you have? I have a Chilean Rose, A Mexican RedKnee and an Indian Ornamental. Suprisingly, it was the Rose (the most Docile) that bit me. Not very pleasant but I'm glad it wasnt the Ornamental.....

Glad to see you are still staying relatively calm considering some of the comments on here!

The most tarantulas I kept were 7 all at the same time. 1 Pink Toed, 1 Red Knee, 1 Zebra, 2 Curly Hair, 1 Woolly and a Bird Eating Spider. Most I had from spiderlings except the Bird Eating and that little fella didn't last too many years so presumed it was male. Also think the Zebra was male but all the others lived a lot longer and my oldest (the Curly) died about four years ago and she was 15, my Red Knee was 13 when she died.

I am currently tarantula free but you never know when things will change. They are fascinating creatures and it winds me up when people are horrible to spiders. My first pet when I moved out of home was a tarantula because I could hide her in my room of the house I was renting. Her skin came in really handy when I suspected that the owner of the house was snooping around my room when I was out! ;)

Midland Beek - I hardly think somthing like this could be classed along side badger baiting ??? I would argue that the very concept of beekeeping while making profit from the honey and other products they produce could be seen as exploitiation of the animal. And in my experience, its throwing the accusations around that someone doing something you dont happen to agree with must make them a "Stupid Person", thats actually the preserve of stupid people.

Maybe you could climb down from your high horse and plough through your massively thick crust of "holier than thou" attitude to contribute a genuine concern or opinion like most of the other experienced keepers have?

And in answer to KeithGrimes's question about how long i regard as necessary to consider myself as an experienced keeper? Who knows? I would probably say, when I felt comfortable in my own knowledge and experience. I dont know? I'm sorry to hear about your experienced friend who suffered the stings. I can only assume from some of the posts on this thread that that incident caused everyone who read or knew about it to suddenly rush out and burn every hive they came accross ???

Hivemaker - thanks for the info.

Vermillion - thanks for your contribution. some of your points are good ones and are much appreciated.

tkwinston4 - thanks for the reply. I knew this idea would not sit well with everyone but my life is not run to please others. I work hard as a fund raiser and sometimes, the things i do dont always fall into other peoples idea of "socially acceptable" or "PC"

I was after some genuine opinions from experienced keepers and also maybe after some good solid info. I have had both and i am happy that most people have expressed what they genuinly think of the idea. It's all food for thought.

i did do a little extra searching last night and came across the following organisation based out of Devon. Their name is Quince Honey Farm and they have over 1500 hives and have been producing honey since 1949. Does that make them experienced? I dont know.

Anyway, if you dont already know of them, check out thier website via the following link:

http://www.quincehoney.co.uk/

They also partake in Bee Bearding.

i did do a little extra searching last night and came across the following organisation based out of Devon. Their name is Quince Honey Farm and they have over 1500 hives and have been producing honey since 1949. Does that make them experienced? I dont know.

It makes them farmers but has no bearing on ethics and I should say I have no idea what their ethics are, but I don't they are anything like mine....

...perhaps we could look at battery farming as an example and the ethics that are absent there. Many of them have been in business a long time and make wallops of dosh, could be called experienced but I think the world would be a better place without them.

BTW. I'm on the heretic side of this forum, very much a naturalist in my approach to life and death and how I treat my fellow species on this planet.

Chris

Latest posts

Back