Ordering a bee suit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
I'm looking to buy a new suit for my wife but not sure what size to get or where's best to order from. She is getting quite interested in bee keeping BUT really doesn't like getting stung, especially having experienced a full on anaphylactic shock following a medical procedure (not bee related;)) I use a jacket type veil and she's got a similar one but got stung on the legs a few weeks back so now I'd like to get her a full suit.

I'm looking to buy her one that offers the best protection at a reasonable price. Mrs Aberreef is 5'1" tall and about size 12 if that helps at all:rolleyes: If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
Huw

There are lots of suppliers of suits but only 2 worth giving a go BB wear and sheriff, give them a call and they will sort out the size for you, BB wear has lots of girly colours

There are lots of suppliers of suits but only 2 worth giving a go BB wear and sheriff, give them a call and they will sort out the size for you, BB wear has lots of girly colours

Thanks, I'll take a look at their websites;)

I use a jacket type veil and she's got a similar one but got stung on the legs a few weeks back so now I'd like to get her a full suit.

A cheap and simple option might be to buy a (white!) boiler suit. They are less than £20, then continue to use the veil you already have.

Have a look at other posting SUIT ADVICE, all you need to know on there.
Good luck.

A cheap and simple option might be to buy a (white!) boiler suit. They are less than £20, then continue to use the veil you already have.

And buy it big so it is baggy on her.

defo go for a bb wear or sheriff suit. I have one and not been stung through it yet although they have tried

dont go the boiler suit route, they will eventually find a way to get in

my bb wear suit makes me feel very safe even when handling nasty bees

If it is any help, I am the same size as your wife and I have got a BBwear suit, in small. Plenty of room and have not been stung through it as yet, although I suppose time will tell on that matter :)

I'm looking to buy her one that offers the best protection at a reasonable price. Mrs Aberreef is 5'1" tall and about size 12 if that helps at all:rolleyes: If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
Huw

BB wear size medium in Nasturtium suits me fine. I am 5' 7" and much fatter (size 16.) with wide shoulders.(I'm not a Russian weightlifter, honest!) Medium would drown Mrs A I reckon.
Cazza

Bee Proof Suit (google them) are good - the fabric is a thick canvas and have not yet had a sting through it. Cliff has a BB one - same age £40 more...has been stung, it's torn and now the veil needs repairing as the wires poke through...Bee Proof for me!

But I am most certainly not a size 12 although I am the right height :eek:

And buy it big so it is baggy on her.

Too big is perfectly OK. (You don't want it tight when bending, lifting, stretching ...)
Too small is utterly useless.

Most respectable vendors will happily exchange if the size isn't right (OK you might have to pay the postage) -- no harm checking that before committing to the order.

Suit on order from bbwear. I phoned them and they are indeed very helpfull.

Thanks for the advicenot worthy

Suit on order from bbwear. I phoned them and they are indeed very helpfull.

Thanks for the advicenot worthy

I like the BBWear gear. Have just ordered a jacket via my division.

Like the idea of the Beeproof ones, but the BB is quite heavyweight enough and gets very hot in there.

After initially trying a Beesuit from a source quite close to me that fell apart after the first wash, I've used Sherrif with great success. Friendly team (I visited them whilst on holiday in Cornwall this year), good quality, plenty of choice, colours and sizes and as explained on another thread very helpful with repairs.

Latest posts

Back