Optimum frames temperature for extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This year I have tried heating the frames gently to something a bit below normal hive temperature, so around 30°c, but I think this is too high as the wax is quite soft and a couple of frames have blown. I have read elsewhere a temp of 20 - 25 is best, but I find this too low. Wondering, does the best temperature vary according to the type of honey being extracted?

Is any honey crystallised? Are you using tangential or radial? If tangential you need to spin one side slowly turn the frames and spin then turn them again.
I’ve reduced the water in a couple of supers at 37 degrees and spun them straight from the heater and they have been ok.

Is any honey crystallised? Are you using tangential or radial? If tangential you need to spin one side slowly turn the frames and spin then turn them again.
I’ve reduced the water in a couple of supers at 37 degrees and spun them straight from the heater and they have been ok.
None of the honey was crystallised. Tangential extractor and one side spun slowly then turned the other side, spun then turned again.

This year I have tried heating the frames gently to something a bit below normal hive temperature, so around 30°c, but I think this is too high as the wax is quite soft and a couple of frames have blown. I have read elsewhere a temp of 20 - 25 is best, but I find this too low. Wondering, does the best temperature vary according to the type of honey being extracted?
Think you’re probably extracting ‘regular’ honey? If heather, ideal to take up to 40-42c to help spin out after agitation (recommended by the Yorkshire heather expert, Tony Jeffferson from Whitby). So don’t think 30C is excessive but I’ve always found a warm room around low 20s is fine. I can see your point re comb softening especially with new combs. Tony recommends for heather to save older combs that have been used a few seasons for heather so stronger, so can withstand the temperature and spin out after loosening, given the gel like consistency.

Back