Opinions?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmm. Is it really only place to drink coffee 3m away from hives?

T-shirt has no meaning because bees prefer to hit on eyes or into hair. Ear is popular too.

Hmm. Is it really only place to drink coffee 3m away from hives?

T-shirt has no meaning because bees prefer to hit on eyes or into hair. Ear is popular too.

No...I could have been further away. I had just gone to the shed for something and was stopped doing something else on the way back. It just so happened I was about 10/12 feet away from the hive when I stopped. Obviously too close yesterday!

Was in my garden minding my own business and having a coffee, about 10/12 feet or so from the hive. I thought I would have been safe at this distance, but apparently one bee had other ideas. Little darling would NOT leave me alone, buzzing all around my face. Trying not to swat it too violently away from my face and make it even more irate (as I didn't fancy a sting on the conk) I retreat about 10 feet further with said brew in hand. Anyways, resulted in a good old sting in the arm (for me that is, bee was worse off - not my fault ��).
As I said I thought I would have been safe.

Questions:

1) I am wearing a red T-shirt today which I haven't worn for a while and wondering whether colour has anything to do with it?

2) Should I have been okay at this distance and I've just got a nasty swarm, or was I intruding at 10/12 feet away?

Thoughts please??
one bee on one occasion means nothing about hive temperament. You need a pattern of behaviour with many bees to draw any conclusion.

Bees can change their temperament. I think garden beeks should have an out-apiary site up their sleeve for this reason #contentious

8 to 10 feet is too close I'd say. One of our beekeepers works his bees wearing just his shorts and sandals, certainly not recommended practice.

I purchased a few bee hoods ...you can just pop them on...if necessary in the Bee Yard...or if mowing/strumming etc. stings to the head are so horrible!

Brand new to bee keeping just 3/4 weeks ago. Hived a swarm in our small suburban garden and I've not yet been deterred from reading my book in the sunshine. None of the bees seem at all bothered with me watching them from all angles. Obviously I apply a bit of common sense and avoid their flight path, but generally I seem to be very lucky with well mannered girls. I do have an optional out-apiary site but so far so good.

caution

i am 5 years in to beekeeping now - first 3 years had bees in the garden, not a huge garden but all was ok for a while. Then one summer everything changed. dogs got stung, we couldn't go outside all summer, after inspection chasing me indoors and flinging themselves at the window. it was awful. They are now on a farm out of harms way. Yes it's very contentious to say dont keep bees in the garden (unless is enormous) but i advise new beeks to always start in an out-apiary. They are not darlings, lovely girls, little beauties...they are insects that can kill... so why take the risk? just my view
Gary

1) I am wearing a red T-shirt today which I haven't worn for a while and wondering whether colour has anything to do with it?

bees can't see red, to them it looks black.
As said, they don't like dark colours, that probably evolved from being robbed by brown or black bears or primates.

No, not from what i can see, they don't care what colour your clothing is.

If you are going to be sure about your coffee drinking, buy a electrict bee catcher

412ykOywcnL._SY300_.jpg
_

Last edited:
Bees can change their temperament. I think garden beeks should have an out-apiary site up their sleeve for this reason #contentious

:iagree:

Personally after a couple of years keeping bees in my mothers back garden (large) I decided the bee traffic was becoming too much and the neighbour had a few stings (more due to his hair care products and swatting at anything that buzzed around his head!).

Since moving to fields it doesn't matter how the bees temperament is as there is only me their for them to target.

Not that I advocate keeping temperamental bees but at least if their is a nectar dearth or thunderstorms or whatever else upsets them I am fairly sure that no member of the public can come to harm.

I still have a couple of hives in the garden and use my own (small) back garden as an isolation apiary for swarms (unknown origin) but I don't have to think twice about inspections as there are no neighbours gardening!

:iagree:

Personally after a couple of years keeping bees in my mothers back garden (large) I decided the bee traffic was becoming too much and the neighbour had a few stings (more due to his hair care products and swatting at anything that buzzed around his head!).

Since moving to fields it doesn't matter how the bees temperament is as there is only me their for them to target.

Not that I advocate keeping temperamental bees but at least if their is a nectar dearth or thunderstorms or whatever else upsets them I am fairly sure that no member of the public can come to harm.

I still have a couple of hives in the garden and use my own (small) back garden as an isolation apiary for swarms (unknown origin) but I don't have to think twice about inspections as there are no neighbours gardening!

<snap>

that was the exact same conclusion I came to, I can now inspect at my leisure, not rush, complete deep inspections, and pull the hive apart, without fear of joe public, neighbour, having issues!

and my hobby does not impact their life!

Okay, i'm on my iphone ATM so hopefully the picture will upload. Where the hive is, there is a trellis fence panel directly behind it. It is nobody's land at the back of the fence, just a field border. I have never seen anyone walk along the back as there is no access to anywhere, and nothing behind us but fields and trees. I know it's cheeky and probably not allowed should it be challenged, but that aside, if I move the hive behind the trellis fence panel and out of my garden will I need to remove the fence panel so that they can find the hive? (See pic). It will only be about 2 feet from where it is now but will it confuse them too much if I move it without temporarily taking out the fence panel? I think this may solve, or vastly improve my situation as hopefully they should largely remain on the other side of the fence. Is this reasonable to assume?

Click photo then click again for correct image (works on iPad!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 28
rather than put your hive on someone else's property with the possibility of upsetting whoever your neighbour is, why don't you just put another piece of trellis or fence between the hive and the rest of the garden? You could move the hive a bit if you don't want to block that particular view through the trellis.

That will force them up and over the barrier, so their flight paths will then tend be out of reach of anyone in the garden.

I have that arrangement in my garden and it works fine.

rather than put your hive on someone else's property with the possibility of upsetting whoever your neighbour is, why don't you just put another piece of trellis or fence between the hive and the rest of the garden? You could move the hive a bit if you don't want to block that particular view through the trellis.

That will force them up and over the barrier, so their flight paths will then tend be out of reach of anyone in the garden.

I have that arrangement in my garden and it works fine.

It won't upset my neighbour as his property backs onto a different field, where there is no access at all. The dividing fence is between our houses so that is no problem. As I said, no one EVER passes by the back as there is nowhere to go to, so the chances of upsetting someone are very slim to none. I was just wondering if I would have to leave the trellis panel out for a day or two if I put the hive the other side of the trellis fence?
Trellis in front of the hive in my garden is plan B 😀

Okay, i'm on my iphone ATM so hopefully the picture will upload. Where the hive is, there is a trellis fence panel directly behind it. It is nobody's land at the back of the fence, just a field border. I have never seen anyone walk along the back as there is no access to anywhere, and nothing behind us but fields and trees. I know it's cheeky and probably not allowed should it be challenged, but that aside, if I move the hive behind the trellis fence panel and out of my garden will I need to remove the fence panel so that they can find the hive? (See pic). It will only be about 2 feet from where it is now but will it confuse them too much if I move it without temporarily taking out the fence panel? I think this may solve, or vastly improve my situation as hopefully they should largely remain on the other side of the fence. Is this reasonable to assume?

It's very rare to find "nobody's" land. Just because you haven't seen anyone on it doesn't mean you can jump to conclusions. The owner of the field would be first choice for ownership.

It's very rare to find "nobody's" land. Just because you haven't seen anyone on it doesn't mean you can jump to conclusions. The owner of the field would be first choice for ownership.

I did ask for opinions with that aside. I'm only interested in the effects of moving them, not who owns or who uses said land..

No one owns it we were informed by the solicitor when we moved in 2 years ago that it's a border to the field that isn't exactly owned by anyone. So I guess probably classed as a public right of way? Either way, it's neither maintained or used by anyone except me.

Maybe you are the one jumping to conclusions in thinking that I'm jumping to conclusions? Thank you for your concern though :)

Last edited:
There is no need for any attitude, I think no one wants to advise you that your plan would work when we are unaware of the ownership of the land you propose to move them onto. Personally I would ask the farmer as having him onside (even if he doesn't actually own that field side strip) can only be beneficial.

Also what crops are grown? As you may move them next to a field that he sprays goodness knows what on!

I work with a local farmer and most really appreciate having bees on their land as they tend to grow at least some crops that benefit from it!

That aside Yes personally I would remove the fence panel for a good few days until you see them flying direct to the hive.

Back