opening up question.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
i keep readin about people saying not to open up a hive at this time of this....i know that lifting the crowm board off is bad,but by just lifting the roof off and leaving the crown board on and looking at them feeding in the clear pastic feeder,does this also chill them much and a big no-no?
Darren.

what can you achieve by taking the roof off?

check the fondant level and top up, and I'd suggest that is about all.

do not disturb unless absolutely necessary

I'm sure a quick look would be OK but why do you need to look? Ask yourself that first.
I know some of us have a real temptation to fiddle. We are all getting bee-stir-crazy waiting for the spring to arrive.
I would leave well alone, make yourself a cuppa and sit and watch them from the outside. Seeing them doing their chores in the sunshine is treat enough.

Last edited:
I think I would say that if anyone has to check on fondant levels weekly then they are not putting a big enough quantity of fondant on the hive in the first place! Surely our objective (especially over winter) is to work with the girls not against them.There will always be exceptions but for most fondant should be an insurance rather than plan A. What was the point of all that autumn syrup feeding otherwise?

A potential viscious circle here.
Frequent inspection, cools hive, increases food consumption, supplies uncertainty, causes need to inspect, cools hive ............

Yes ............fiddling. Rosti you're right.
Must try harder..........
The hives are just in the field next to the garden and I put only 1 kg on at a time.
Will plan better this year

what can you achieve by taking the roof off?

check the fondant level and top up, and I'd suggest that is about all.

do not disturb unless absolutely necessary

agree,

after winter varroa treatment i put 2.5kg fondant on mid December due to the cold spell, inspected 1st jan and today 1st feb to see how much they have eaten

all looks ok and the are in the fondant so next fondant inspections in 3wks then also feed 0.5kg neopol but may also increasing inspections towards end march dependant how much they are into fondant

Likewise MM, but I am behind you by a few weeks, my OA (and fondant safety net) was 1st week Jan. Before that I just hefted. So I will check mid feb, top up if required, then leave them until mid march when I'll give them pollen patties, anything from march onward feed wise will be 1:1 syrup. R

Likewise MM, but I am behind you by a few weeks, my OA (and fondant safety net) was 1st week Jan. Before that I just hefted. So I will check mid feb, top up if required, then leave them until mid march when I'll give them pollen patties, anything from march onward feed wise will be 1:1 syrup. R

two weeks with the weather as well i suspect hazel catkins are yellow but not full out and pussy willow is going sliver but no pollen yet

two weeks with the weather as well i suspect hazel catkins are yellow but not full out and pussy willow is going sliver but no pollen yet

Yes you're right! Here in Yorkshire the rabbits are still in their white coats and the damn polar bears continue to rumage through the waste bins, hazel catkins are only just starting to develop, as you say they are weeks away!

Hazel has had catkins here for weeks but no flying for weeks so a bit academic.

PH

Seems such a waste. Lots of forage but way too cold. Last year we had masses and masses of crocuses but snow on the ground and when the bluebells were out it rained and rained and rained.

Has anyone noticed how few berries there are on the ivy? Poor pollination as the weather (here) was awful when it was in flower.

2009 Fantastic ivy flow = very little syrup required and no fondant.

2010 Rubbish ivy flow = 100+kg sugar required and fondant on half of my colonies and ready for the other half :toetap05:

Has anyone noticed how few berries there are on the ivy? Poor pollination as the weather (here) was awful when it was in flower.

2009 Fantastic ivy flow = very little syrup required and no fondant.

2010 Rubbish ivy flow = 100+kg sugar required and fondant on half of my colonies and ready for the other half :toetap05:

I think this may be more local to you? The ivy flow was good this year and the ivy is nicely berried up in my locality.
Cazza

not sure if it was that local.

2009 = Somerford's bees were literally wall to wall on the autumn flowering Aster that I have in the front garden. It REALLY is the place to be :party:

2010 = barely saw a bee... the cool weather really put them off.

loads of ivy here, and the bees were busy with it!
hazel in garden full of pollen, bees stuck indoors due to cold

I know mine pulled in about 35lb honey from the local ivy flow...so no problems here

Just checked mine after they appear to have gone 'light' when hefting and from just a quick peek after taking off my insulated crown board they appear to have devoured it all, so it looks like I'm gonna have to feed them..

Latest posts

Back