Open Air colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your thoughts

Not sure what thoughts you want exactly, but my first one was "could this possibly survive winter?" Don't know. Can't believe it would.

Not sure what thoughts you want exactly, but my first one was "could this possibly survive winter?" Don't know. Can't believe it would.
"could this possibly survive winter?" - I would doubt it, but on the other hand it appears that they must be quite hardy. Would they possibly have some genetic qualities that would make me desire to have them in my hive?

"could this possibly survive winter?" - I would doubt it, but on the other hand it appears that they must be quite hardy. Would they possibly have some genetic qualities that would make me desire to have them in my hive?
Maybe they just got lucky and didn't get rained on.
In summer 2018 my part of West Wales got no rain for nearly three months......unheard of. The rest of the country sizzled in prolonged heat too

Lovely pics!
Beautiful. Gorgeous combs.
Lovely queen in the second pic, too.
Took a little while to spot her. ;)
Maybe they just got lucky and didn't get rained on.
Or the wind here today.
My thoughts: As you have done, straight in a nuc. Maybe they stopped out longer than expected and had a very productive queen who'd begun laying in the meantime?

Remember the colony in a tree that was 'rescued' in something like November/December?. I would have preferred if they were left alone and observed instead.
I've seen open comb colonies but they were in in a cavity or shelter of some kind, under the zinc roof of a Dutch barn and the cavity created by a fallen tree.

Latest posts

Back