One swarm joining another

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A swarm issued from one of my colonies a while ago (~18th) and took up temporary residence on the OUTSIDE of a neighbouring farmhouse chimney. The farmer contacted me and I reassured him, that the bees would leave after a few days. 3 days ago, I got a phone call from him to say there were twice as many bees on the chimney as before. Although I didnt beleive him, this ties in with the fact that another swarm has left my apiary! Before you all get on your high horses, I inspect weekly, make sure they have enough room etc.., but still they swarm. Any way, I went cap in hand to see the householders today and all the bees have gone. My question is "Will one swarm join another like this"? It's almost as though the second swarm saw the first one and thought 'wtf are they doing so long on that chimney' and then got them moving with a kick up the sting chamber.

Yes it will.

What I have noticed is that they tend to pick a favourite spot each year as their first staging post, and swarms will tend to collect there again and again It is not always the same place each year. I understand that the area is probably marked wiht Nasanov pheromone?..... not sure if I red this in Tom Sealey or imagined this :).....this makes the area attractive to bees.

In my apiary more than once I have had swarms leave their box and go cosy up wiht another swarm.

This was the three in one I posted the other week on here - a full 2 metres long.

attachment.php

Managed to break it up and hive as three colonies.

Chris

Yes it will.

What I have noticed is that they tend to pick a favourite spot each year as their first staging post, and swarms will tend to collect there again and again It is not always the same place each year. I understand that the area is probably marked wiht Nasanov pheromone?..... not sure if I red this in Tom Sealey or imagined this :).....this makes the area attractive to bees.

In my apiary more than once I have had swarms leave their box and go cosy up wiht another swarm.

Oh dear! They'll have my guts for garters! Pie eaters as well, so being from St Helens I'm on a hiding to nothing!

Latest posts

Back